a couple of welding qs

dylan

im startin to really feel the burn of not having a welder of some sorts so before i buy something ive got a couple of questions

1.as tig welders are pretty cheap(well cheaper than migs)are they alright for sheet metal stuff

2.found a 120 amp mig thats a reasonable price is that enough ampage for car/sheet metal stuff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

120's sweet, what brand is it? Gas or gasless? Personally i would't bother getting a tig for panel work, migs all good and as long as you get your setting etc right you can get some nice work, just don't put to much heat into the metal.

Was a thread similar started a few day's ago.

Think you use small as amp for panels so 120 is heaps. 120amp MIG is good for home use I think. Prob do upto about 7mm plate. Can always v it and fill for larger anyways.

120's sweet, what brand is it? Gas or gasless? Personally i would't bother getting a tig for panel work, migs all good and as long as you get your setting etc right you can get some nice work, just don't put to much heat into the metal.

it sais jiali european quality on the side and its a gas one found it on trademe the guy has a few of them the cheapest was $300 met the reserve and there brand new too

Just be aware that some of the cheaper migs cannot go to a low enough amperage in order to weld panel, a lot of the cheaper ones only go down to 40 odd amps which is still too much for nice welds, tig is nice, but takes a lot of practice to get right, and car panels don't always weld nicely with tig.

I tigged the panels on my lancer and ended up replacing twice what i thought i'd have to due to blowing holes. :cry:

120mig will be fine, can get a higher amp as you can always turn it down

You can weld panel with gasless, its just messier as its flux stz and splats like arc does

You CAN arc panel steel, but don't do it unless you're retarded like me

Tig is fancy/expensive generally, no need for that just get a mig

oxy/acetylene FTW wherever applicable, use as much as possible as offen as possible.

my arcs are always shit <- n00b

just bought a mig, cheapie with CO2 bottle. havent used it yet, do like the "point 'n squirt" factor though :D

edit: for the sheer "poosing" of stuff up like diffs etc, arc ftw.

Been looking around for one for ages myself. This is what ive found out.

The MIG's always state their maximum ampage, this is what you need to do heavy stuff like mounting brackets etc. For panel work idd recomend around 35amp maximum, but 30 amp would be best.

Other stuff to consider:

The main one is the amp setting dial/switch. You can get MIG's with a switch to switch between maximum and minimum ampage, this means only two heats (crap). Idd look for one with a dial that lets you chose a range of amps, say, 30, 35, 60, 90, 120. Give you more flexibility.

Check the gun/cable to the gun. Is best to get one that can be unplugged from the machine as you may need to replace the lead and gun (the nylon inside the lead can wear out from the wire travels through it).

Make sure you have somewhere to plug it into in your shed/workshop. You can get 3 phase( the big orange plugs) or single phase welders (the normal appliance plug).

So considering your probably looking at single phase, you will either have a 30amp wall socket (like the one for your oven in the kitchen) or 10amp wall socket (all normal wall sockets). These look the same but the 30amp will be supplied by a large gauge wire from the fuse box and will be fused for 30amp. The others will be supplied by smaller wire and fused with a 10amp fuse.

So if you have a 30amp socket in your shed you can get a big single phase welder and run it no sweat. If you have a 10amp socket you may be struggling to run a big one. All that will happen is the fuse (or rcd) will blow at the fuse board. But I wouldn't recommend continual resetting of the fuse tho.

Note. The ampage settings when talking about the plugs don't relate to the ampages of the welders generally.

Also, lead length is important cause you dont want to be lugging the welder around all the time when you working.

Idd reccomend you spend at minimum $500 on one on TradeME. Get a gas/gasless one, a regulator included would be good. If you planning on alot of welding, hire a bottle from BOC otherwise use disposibles. Get a good helmet, although I cant vouch for this, the cheap electronic ones may be good for a while but i've heard they arnt fast enough to dim and thus you may get arc eye. Does anyone reccomond any? Idd just stick to the flap down $50 helmets from protector saftey.

This is just what ive taken in over the last year or so. I have experience in Oxy, Mig and Tig. Oxy is nice but you can get warping if your not careful with the panels heating up. Tig is best for stainless and aluminium, and expensive for the machine. Mig is a good all rounder for steel.

There are new inverter welders are kinda like Arc, they are just really light weight so good for transport etc.

Feel free to correct me if ive written anything wrong or you have had different experiences.

If you planning on alot of welding, hire a bottle from BOC otherwise use disposibles. Get a good helmet, although I cant vouch for this, the cheap electronic ones may be good for a while but i've heard they arnt fast enough to dim and thus you may get arc eye. Does anyone reccomond any? Idd just stick to the flap down $50 helmets from protector saftey.
Where do you get the disposable bottles from?

MillerWeld make very good auto darkening helmets, there not cheap but well you pay for quality

just pay 799 at mitre 10 and get everything you need bar gas. ryobi 135e/150e
Eww, if you know any one who can get trade at BNT you can get a BlueWeld combi 135(?) for about $800

Yup, I rate those Blueweld machines too. I think retail they're still sub $1k, which is pretty damn good.

too much talk of gasless wire. dont even think of using it. it is the most unworthy shit crap in the world, its made for farmers who cant arc weld to pretend to fix diggers in the wind and rain so they can sound hard at the pub on friday

whats wrong with auto helmets?

• Like 1

Yep, gasless is pretty crap. Umm, good quality auto helmets are worth their money. Bad quality ones can expose you to the arc. The electronics in some cheapies are too slow at detecting the arc strike and thus your exposed to the arc for a small period each time. Too much of this and you'll get arc eye... Not very nice.