exhausts

corrupt

i just made me a exchast for my rolla the other day bit of a mission to do at home. i ended up making it 2.25", the engine is only a 1300cc so this is a overkill BUT i also put a turbo on it at the same time so i had to oversize it to help the turbo spool quicker :twisted:

hey, not that I know much about turbo's but wouldn't the turbo spool quicker if it was a smaller diameter pipe? Smaller pipe would have more pressure

its all about differental pressure. you want as much pressure as possable before the turbo and as little pressure as possable after the turbo.

do some research.... the info is out there

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

old guys that know their shit rule.

Ive got a twin 2" system, with factory resantor and 2 cobys per pipe, tis loud and a bit too drony, but ive had it like that for bout a year and a half now and im used to it, my mechanic is keen to change the two rear cobys to something a bit more quiet, but i like the bark it has, but wud be cool to get ride of the drone, ask my backseat passengers :lol:

its all about differental pressure. you want as much pressure as possable before the turbo and as little pressure as possable after the turbo.

that not just the case bro, an exhaust on a turbo car works in the same way as on a n/a car. Yes you should have it a bit bigger but too big and you will suffer the effects of not enough back pressure just the same as anyone else. By your theory if you had no exhaust after your turbo it would be quick as and this simple isn't the case. 2.25 is too big for a 1300 turbo or not.

that not just the case bro, an exhaust on a turbo car works in the same way as on a n/a car. Yes you should have it a bit bigger but too big and you will suffer the effects of not enough back pressure just the same as anyone else. By your theory if you had no exhaust after your turbo it would be quick as and this simple isn't the case. 2.25 is too big for a 1300 turbo or not.

On a turbo car you actually want as bigger exhaust as possible, you'll notice all the turbo drag cars etc don't really run an exhaust.

You don't want any restriction after the turbo, this will restrict flow through the turbine and reduce performance, and I have talked to many people, and putting a bigger dump pipe and exhaust DID make their turbo spool earlier.

It's different on NA cars to turbo cars, when I had no exhaust on my cordia turbo once I put the engine it, it was much faster than when I got the exhaust welded on.

on my pinto ive got 2.25 inch exhaust off the extractors a zortex sports box before diff and a coby after the diff sounds nice on idle but when ur driving dont really hear it intill the car hits 4000+ rpm heh

all up cost $800 from pitstop thats moding my extractors aswell abit pricy

and im still thinking of changing the coby for a big bore or straight pipe to make it abit louder :P

On a turbo car you actually want as bigger exhaust as possible

52" piping?? Careful how you word things or you might sound like a meataxe :P

Its not a case of biggest size possible its about getting the mix right as has already been mentioned. Small enough to allow it to spool faster and large enough to not restrict it once its at maximum boost.

i take it you've never taken the exchast off your car and gone for a drive then... when you do u'll notice how much earlier the boost kicks in.

eg my two rear mufflers on my 1300 are removable (padock days etc...) and it boosts way quicker when not running those on there.

not to mention i run a vf10 off a 2l subie on my 1300 and it spools nice an early.

talk to some people that build race cars and see what they say. :rolleyes:

ok, i went to the exhaust shop, got all the other shit i need for my exhaust. i got a proper barrel muffler which is offset, but just like a coby inside, some bends, and an adaptor so i can weld the bigbore on the end. it better be good when i weld it all up. my system, will be 421 extractors, 45degree bend, 2" piping to my new muffler, 2" piping back to just before the diff, original 1.75" bends over the diff, then my 2.5" inlet bigbore at the end with 4" dump tip :D

hope it isnt too loud but :?