exhausts

corrupt

what kind of exhausts do you guys have on your cars? eg pipe dia, how many mufflers, what kind etc... apparently theres some new law coming out early next year, which requires car to have exhausts up to factory standards or something, that means at least 2 baffled mufflers and not significantly louder than standard . i was talking to the lady at midas today, she says that all us "young boy racers" are gonna have to change out exhuasts and get them up to legal standards or we will all get pink stickerd. she wouldnt do my exhuast how i wanted it to be done i was paying cash!, but no. spose im gonna have to get some piping and weld it all up myself :lol: .

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like crap to new cause the law for having you car no louder than standard is already there.

if you want a shop to do it try mr muffler in onehunga that guy is real frendly and does good deals if you have a yarn to him first :D

i just made me a exchast for my rolla the other day bit of a mission to do at home. i ended up making it 2.25", the engine is only a 1300cc so this is a overkill BUT i also put a turbo on it at the same time so i had to oversize it to help the turbo spool quicker :twisted:

They've been going on about that for ages, pretty sure its already in effect isn't it? Like can't be significantly louder than factory or something..

Just go to a proper exhaust place and they'll do it how you want.

Mine's 2.5" the whole way through from the extractors with one baffled sports muffler.. never had a problem with it for WOF's (at VTNZ), although surprisingly it isn't actually very loud anyway, just sounds really deep..

But yea, what about road legal race cars like Frasers etc.. its not like they can refuse to give them WOF's for being too loud, when theyre like that standard.. they'll just have to have a lower decibel limit in place or some shit, I duno.. stupid govt :rolleyes:

I've got extractors, 2.25" pipe straight back then a 14" coby muffler before the diff, then had to use slightly smaller diameter pipe (2") to bend over the diff in one nice smooth curve, (the 2.25" was too thin and kept splitting), then back to 2.25" pipe and another 14" coby muffler, then failed a warrant because my exhaust needed to be half an inch longer so put a shiney bit of pipe on the end of the muffler, still 2.25". Looks nice and sounds exactly how I want it too, not drony or too loud but still roars when you boot it 8)

If i redo the GTs system it will be 1 7/8" with one muff.

thats what ive got 19" coby resonator with straight through 1 7/8 pipe...

sounds good, recomend coby mufflers/resonators to anyone.

edit: i paid $95 for the muffler and it was like $190 for installation and materials at pitstop

i just made me a exchast for my rolla the other day bit of a mission to do at home. i ended up making it 2.25", the engine is only a 1300cc so this is a overkill BUT i also put a turbo on it at the same time so i had to oversize it to help the turbo spool quicker :twisted:

hey, not that I know much about turbo's but wouldn't the turbo spool quicker if it was a smaller diameter pipe? Smaller pipe would have more pressure

Take it you have coby lcb aswell? Yea its already got a cooper muff, real sweet sounding with a good zing, not sure on the measerments for inlet/exhaust may have to check that out but will probably use that if i do.

You could knock one up for 300$ i guess. But pit stop etc charge around 500-700 i think?? anyone back me up.

i ended up making it 2.25", the engine is only a 1300cc so this is a overkill BUT i also put a turbo on it at the same time so i had to oversize it to help the turbo spool quicker :twisted:

um.. that would make it spool slower sorry dude. I run 2.25 on my 2L turb for that very reason. The back pressure of a smaller pipe means the turbo has more exhaust in it at all all times, thus quicker spool time. Anyone who says the larger the exhaust on a turbo car the better is an idiot. Ideally you want correct size so that it doesn't choke the turbo but also keeps it spinning at optimum capacity at lower revs.

2.25 is a little small for me and I can tell, she boosts quickly and spikes on 20psi and drops back to 18, this is due to the exhaust strangling the turbo so it can't hold 20psi constantly.

I run 2.25 with one turbo flow muff. But I've got plans to change it to 2.5 with one straight through muff and a side exit.. the turbo really quietens it heaps. I'd just ask the wof or the pigs how loud a factory capri is? they wouldn' t fuckin know. :rolleyes:

atm, i have standard mk5 exhaust, with center muffler cut out, 2" piping welded in place, and a 2.5" big bore jappa thing at the rear. ive had no trouble with it yet, anyone whos seen my car will say its loud etc. but i have the new cortina not far away and wanted something a bit more "legal" like put a proper baffled muffler in there somewhere and increase the pipe to 2.25" with a dumpy muffler on the end. that proved too hard for that muffler shop, and they were trying to con me into fitting a brandnew original spec exhuast for $600 they gotta be joking. anyway i scored a few meters of 2" stainless piping of a friends dad, and thought id just give it a shot myself, and only put the dumpy on the end, see what its like for sound/performance, then from there id either fit the stock center muffler back in or go buy a sports one. what do you guys reckon?

I've got a mate who does exhausts fuckin cheap for me eh.. I just got a system on my falcon.. extractors, one muff and 2.25 straight through.. it's perfect.

(thats 4100cc drftnmaz.. that over 3 times the size of your engine and we have the same dia exhausts! I think you'd find you car performs a lot better with somthing smaller..)

give us prices of what you guys paid? im in desperate need of a new exhaust mad leaks and shit. anyone selling a 2" system second hand?

I got the two mufflers for $96 or something and then gave a mate $40 and a box of beers, $40 because he provided the pipe and the workshop and we both drank the beers while making it haha. Thats a cheap system. If you go to coby they sometimes have a selection of second hand mufflers too, so you could get it even cheaper if they have the right sizes available second hand :wink:

I mine was only like $200 (mild steel piping) oh yea plus 130 ish for the muffler.. (and like another $200 to mod the extractors to clear the steering column :?)

Try not to go to big places like Pit Stop, Midas etc, they tend to overcharge..

whered you go? im desperate ay lol