Over heating

zep

As most of you know, I've converted the Gem to a turbo machine. The engine has been worked and now that it's running, it over heats regularly. I initially got a new radiator made, 3 core high efficiency, and replaced the water pump, head gasket and thermostat and that helped a bit, stays at about 1/2 when driving consitently, but sitting in traffic is another story. The 12" electric fan I have seems to be working ok but it just keeps on going up, to almost full temp with idling in traffic.

I'm thinking of getting an oil cooler next, which I probably will. Will this help to cure my problem? Turbo is a T3 water and oil cooled, so I imagine the oil is pretty hot after going through the turbo.

Any other ideas what might be causing this?

Cheers

Leon

all i can thinkof is that when the water gets into the radiator its cooling it enough but its not going fromt eh radiator to the engine fast enough ...gets my drift??? , oil cooler would solve this easy i wouldbe thinking , diesel 4wding things have the same problem have huge fan and radiators but the mechanical water pump cant pump water fast enough at idle and the engine ends up cooking itself

how old is the radiator, how long has it been in there?

it could be something as simple as pipes being clogged with shit, which is a fairly simple thing to fix:

empty radiator,

get radiator cleaning stuff from repco etc

do wat instructions say

after that, take drain plug out or take the bottom of the radiator,

stik a hose in the radiator filler cap

crank the hose and let it go through the system 4 5 mins or so.

this might help but if your new radiator hasnt been in the car for very long it might not make much difference

if it was me i wouldn't run the water cooling on the turbo, you dont need it at all, but its sounds like you tune is way out and maybe dentionating a little at idle, what compression ratio do you have? what fuel do you run?

the other thing i'd do is raise the rear of the bonnet for a few days and see if it helps maybe the hot air just can't get outta there????

oil cooler is the go and if you can't afford it theres cheap ways to do it.

Okie..

Well the radiator is a BRAND NEW recore a few weeks ago, so that should be working alright. I'm fairly sure that there is no clogging, I have flushed the entire system about a month or so back when I was running the old radiator.

Lowlancer: how do I check the pressure across the rad-tubes?

Yeah, the timing and tune is definately out, but I'm thinking that it could be more than just that.

Heh, when I put my heater on how it spits out hot air anyway, regardless of wether the fan is on or not.

drftnmaz: What's this about not running water lines to the turbo? are they not improtant? If I just take them off and leave the gallery running through the turbo open, will this be fine? Never heard of this before eh. Runing 98 fuel and its very rich at the moment as the carb is playing up.

As for oil coolers,

I have been looking at at either this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 341524.htm

or this larger one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 110043.htm

I am leaning towards the smaller one as I think it'll be suitable, but if someone could advise, that'd be cool.

Cheers guys

i don't run water in my turbos, you can just leave the pipes open and its fine.

GET I TUNNED!!!! this can cause massive heat.

does the turbo suck cold air in or eng bay air? how close is your intercooler to your rad?

maybe you'll have to get a slightly smaller pump pully and overdrive your waterpump a bit.

btw: how does she drive? my 1800 gem was pretty loose so i imange this must b a little scary in the wet.

i'm not using the watercooling on the tc06. i was told by so many different performance shops not to use them but i was dubious un til i was told by mitsubishi also not to use them.

the reason is that the turbo gets so hot that when you come to idle after a thrashing and water isn't being pushed through the system as fast is that the heat from water from the turbo cooling starts to overheat the rest of the system.

from what i understand it depends on if there is enough oil being put through the turbo to allow you to get rid of your water lines.

ask a turbo place if it's ok to run without the water cooling and if it is block them off and go for a drive and see if there is a difference to your temp.

Yeah, I will be getting it tuned once I sort out my new carby - then make a decision about the oil cooler and shit.

I will talk to a turbo shop (can anyone reccommend one in AKL) about not running the water lines and see what they say.

drftnmaz: It goes pretty well, despite all the problems, and with the LSD its pretty lethal in the rain ;)

i'm not using the watercooling on the tc06. i was told by so many different performance shops not to use them but i was dubious un til i was told by mitsubishi also not to use them.

the reason is that the turbo gets so hot that when you come to idle after a thrashing and water isn't being pushed through the system as fast is that the heat from water from the turbo cooling starts to overheat the rest of the system.

from what i understand it depends on if there is enough oil being put through the turbo to allow you to get rid of your water lines.

ask a turbo place if it's ok to run without the water cooling and if it is block them off and go for a drive and see if there is a difference to your temp.

I dunno if thats true cos the misubishi cordia 1800GSR Turbo uses a TC06, and they never have any problems. Mitsubishi spent millions of dollars and years of research designing the thing, I doubt they'd miss somthing as simple as that.

anyway i'll let you know how it goes cause my car is at boosted performance at the moment getting a couple of things done of which removing the water cooling is one of them as they suggested. if my turbo cooks i guess they will be up for replacing it, something i'm sure they won't want to do.

Sweet, well I might give them a call and see what they have to say.

The car should be tuned by the end of the week so once that's done, i'll reassess the situation, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need to go for the oil cooler anyway.

Anyone take a look at those two auction? Can ya recommend me one?