Over heating

zep

yeah one of the problems with turbo cars is the heat... my car is almost unbearable on a hot summer day. My heater fan doesn't work and I've never bothered to fit it as it doesn't matter eh.. in the winter you can drive around with the windows down sweet as lol.

Summer days are a bitch though. I'm trying to think up ways of making a by-pass system for the summer so that the water doesn't flow through the heater unit... but still has to go through the turbo.

Sorry, anyway as for your problem. If it sits on half then that is fine. Thats where mine sits. If it overheats in traffic then you need bigger or more fans. An oil cooler won't really help the traffic problem as it only works when air is flowing through. I fitted a 19 row cooler and didn't notice a drop in temp. But it did stablize so that it never creeps etc.

(there is nothing worse than sitting in traffic watching your needle creep towards the red :oops: )

So, yeah, I run 2x 11" Kenlowe fans on a V6 Capri radiator.. only 2 row through but with bigger end tanks over the factory 2L one. Also, vents in the bonnet help and exhaust wrap on your dump pipe.

Drilling a couple of small holes (4mm) in your thermostat can help as well. Turbo blanket.

doh yeah

I have the 3 core, with a 12" electric fan and there isn't really any room for another one. I'm gonna make up a shroud at some stage, hopefully that'll make a little difference. Other than that, tuning and stuff should help. Don't wanna do the bonnet vents eh

Guest WESTCORT

RT do you run your two fans both on engine bay side, both on front(i dought) or one on each? and did you guys dithc your regular fans when putting your electric ones on

cher

Man, ditching the factory fan was one of the first things I did when I got my car.. good for 1 or 2 bhp.

Yeah no room for two fans on either side, ideally you want the fans on the engine side of the rad as they don't impede the airflow when driving. But you can only do what you can do.

I actually run one 14 or 15 fan on the rear and a smaller 11 on the front. Spaced so that they cover as much of the rad as possible.

As for exhaust wrap. Yes it can wear out your headers. I wouldn't wrap turbo header - no fuckin way. I said wrap your dump pipe coming off the turbo. Who gives a fuck about that.

I ran extractors on a n/a 2L for a year or two heavily wrapped. When I removed the wrap there was no sign of wear. Of course, it was just a streeter and wouldn't reach the kind of tempratures that link is suggesting. Furthermore, exhaust wrap DOES breath.. so saying that it doesn't is just crap. Plus, yeah it might not add much power but it does reduce the underbonnet temp... so that = good.

Coating is of course a far better way of going.