ex lancer conversion

skunkwerx

i'm pretty sure that the RWD turbo engines have the skinny bellhousing pattern (mine does), just like the non turbo one's. the L200 rwd engines have the wide one so they will bolt up to a VR4 engine (seen it done) but not the sohc turbo engines. there may be variations, apparently there are late model starion engines that have the wide pattern, but its not just all the 12 valve engines cause i know someone running an EX1800 gearbox with a 12 valve. there seem to be quite a few variations, i'd double check by matching stuff up (make a template if its too heavy) before buying things.

cheers

Matt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah thats mitsi for ya.

Somtimes its for the good, others for the bad.i never new the l200 was a wide block.Im sure the sigma gbox and the l200 are the same apart from the shifter housing.

But then again, who really knows

not a problem, i'd like a look at your colt too if you've still got it??? i'll pm you my phone number to organise something, maybe on the weekend??? the cars in glenfield, manuka road ish and not legal but could probably take it for a quick spin.

cheers

Matt

hey rxtoy,i used to live on manuka road,small world huh,and had a 70's celica as well,and i roniacaly have the same name as you!:)

looking at a 82 ex lancer in the next couple of days wof/reg for 600$:)

standard 1200cc model,would this be an easy base project... what should i go sohc or dohc 4g63,...???

any one?

The sigma RWD boxes are good for around 400hp.

skunkwerx, go with the SOHC, as they're a cheaper base and bolt in, then get the VR4 DOHC head, pistons etc

It's not a straight bolt up, but close, things like thermostat etc will need modding.

VR4 heads flow better than EVO ones, but EVO turbos are better, so throw one on for a cheap upgrade.

to be honast i wouldnt even bother with the vr4 head.Your better off keeping the sohc head and multipinting the injection.Matts been doing this at the moment.

Its actually a real hassle to get the twin cam head on.Looks great and goes alittle better,but for all the work and hassle your better off putting the money into the multipoint and a link.

Just my 5c anyway

hey guys thanx for the advice,im currently looking at a trade me auction for a starion "siarus" engine??? if thats rite,comes with ecu and loom and everything i need basically to get going,am i looking at changing x memeber aswell if is a 1200cc??

also the engine comes with the starion mounts etc.. they shud bolt up sweet?

the car im getting also has a 5spd in it already .. any idea what i would be outa?

whats wit the thermostat mod? why is this required? something in the way of it?

any probs with manifolds etc.. clearing?

thanks makes life a alot easier to do a conversion that can be explained insteed of just "oh yeah my mate did it like this" crap..

what kind of hp am i looking at ?also any drive shaft issues?

is the wiring easy as judging by the picture it's carby-efi looking ??

i can't answer all those q's but here goes on some of them...

the thermostat mod is for the dohc head as it and the crank angle sensor both come off the back of the head and are fouled by the firewall. the engine you are looking at won't have this problem because it's a std north/south arrangement anyway.

the auction seems to have all the things you need for the transplant, engine,ecu,loom,intake and exhaust manifolds(make sure you get the down pipe). in addition you are going to need efi fuel lines and fuel pump...

seeing as my car isn't a lancer i don't know about gearbox and crossmembers.

ok imt aking that you have a 1200cc (4g11) and a 5sp gearbox.

The gearbox will most likely be the starion gearbox.I think you have to cut about 2inches to fit the shifter in right,but thats no biggy.The starion box is hydro clutch tho so you will have to set up a hydro clutch setup.Either putting a peddle box from a starion, GSR sigma ot 1800GSR lancer, or running a remote hydro/cable clutch setup.

You will have to change your cross member to either a 1600 lancer or starion cross member.You can use a sigma cross member but there are a few more mods involved, as this is what i have done.

You will have to use the sigma,lancer 5sp or starion gearbox cross member if the old box you have int he lancer was a 4sp, if it was a 5sp it will be sweet.

Apart from that it should be all sweet as.

Your diff aint gonna be likeing the new power goin through it.I good upgrade int he future would be a turbo sigma or 1800gsr(if you can find one) diff.Both have a disk rear.

You are also going to have to set up a serge tank as well.You might be able to get away with no serge tank, im not really sure.You will need a low pressure high volume pump, then the serge tank, then a high pressure pump feeding the engine.i have a 1800gsr fuel pump i would sell you cheap.

The only other thing is to find a gsr fuel tank, as these have baffeling in them witch means you dont need the serge tank

They are single point injection and are about 165hp.

Good luck

yeah.Would make it a hell of alot easier to wire it up and get things goin well.Then if you decide to go multipoint injection your not gonna have to replace your ecu :D

If you can offord it it would be worth it

when i was thinkin about doing this i was told by my mechanic to go for a evor or vr4 motor, because the dohc can make more power at highr revs so instead of revving to 5 or 6 thou you can rev to 7 or 8 and stilll be making power, just something you might want to consider.!

thats very true and well and good, but if you are wanting bang for your buck then the vr4 aint gonna give ya good value.

For sure its a mean ass motor and all but its gonna cost you at least 10k to put one in a lancer, then you have troubles with gearboxes blowing all the time etc.

just my 5c worth anyway

from my experiance those starion motors are pretty weak ay... i've blown a few of them, better to go for a standard vr4 motor compared to a worked up starion motor

wayyy better design, better balancing.. etc....

and the main cost in doing the vr-4 motor would b the computer and if your gonna do that anyway why not just do it once and only have to worry about smashing diff's but hey thats what the welder is for :twisted:

well you an put the vr4 rods and pistons into the starion block.Wella you have a vr4 block, but you are able to bolt it up to alot more gearboxes.

VR4 is the way to go if you want big power for sure.Just all depends.You can get a starion 4g63bt to be about 200hp and have VERY good reliability, but as have seid once you start getting over the 250hp mark they start to complain alittle.Its starting to ge alittle hard to find good condition vr4 mtors now too.

Ive been told the best engine is the engine from the vr4 evo zero for a ex lancer conversion.Not sute why but have been told bye a number off ppl