ex lancer conversion

skunkwerx

don't the vr-4 have more oil squirters etc????

and the vr4 is a better balanced motor aswell

and a starion motor thats still going after 25 years of abuse has got to b a bit tired???

not saying a vr4 an't gonna be but could take 5-10years off the abuse?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, im not actually sure aboutt he oil squirters.

I mean both the motors are perfect, depends what you are wanting it to do.

If you are wanting a kick ass high power street machine the vr4 motor is bye far a better option.

If you are wanting an EX lancer to be turbo, and go hard then the starion would be the go.

Im not saying either is better than the other, but each of them are have there benifits/drawbacks.

As far as i see it 200hp in a 900kg RWD car = fun no matter how you put it.

Wont be as fast as a vr4 or evo on the initial take off but will more that easly catch up.

Im now better under breaking and around tight turns than an evo or wrx.Kicks ass..........till i get to a straight lol

Wont be as fast as a vr4 or evo on the initial take off but will more that easly catch up.

Im now better under breaking and around tight turns than an evo or wrx.Kicks ass..........till i get to a straight lol

find that a bit hard to beleive what suspension mods have you done and what brakes?

find that a bit hard to beleive what suspension mods have you done and what brakes?

dude there's a reason cars that race on tracks are RWD and not 4WD and i thought it was fairly obvious...4Wd's don't go round corners!!! all there handling comes from massive amounts of grip from the tires. so unless they are being raced on loose surfaces(rally) or in the wet then a RWD will kick a 4WD any day

don't know if you noticed or not lowlancer but when it comes to the tarmac rally's...who won???

not the 4wd's....oooh no, bu t the 2wd citreon's

have you ever seen a 4wd vehicle on the track up against a 2wd? i don't think you have, cause if you had you would know they are no match.

GSR GT race spec struts and 12" ventelated rotors.

Heavy duty 25mm sway bar,uprated springs, bla blah blah etc etc

Somtimes they are abit stiff, but when thr twisty stufdf comes it reminds me why they are so good

don't know if you noticed or not lowlancer but when it comes to the tarmac rally's...who won???

not the 4wd's....oooh no, bu t the 2wd citreon's

have you ever seen a 4wd vehicle on the track up against a 2wd? i don't think you have, cause if you had you would know they are no match.

Yeah I have, 4WD won, was a WRX and an S15 silvia. Fair enough though, if you have proof, I'll take your word, but that may have something to do with the fact I want your car

well the lancer i had linbed up turned out to be a rust bucket in discuse unfortunalty ...

oh well have to wait for another shell to come along.../

are those gsr front struts a bolt in mod or not???

sounds like yer lancer is getting the full treatment..

yeah the GSR ones are bolt in.

Turbo sigma and starion ones are pretty much just a bolt in too, just gotta change the bottom ball joint knuckle thing whatever its called as the lancer are 3 bolt and the sigma and starion have a 2 bolt one, but thats easy

Guest jomojojo

hello ppl

i recently was given a 1977 mitsi celeste 1600 (G37B) 5SM

im wondering if these engine swaps apply to my little car to ?

i am hoping to use either a 4g63bt or vr4/evo engine which would be the easiest and what are the pros and cons.

im a mechanic so doing the work isnt a problem i just know knothing about this car at all and the internet isnt helping!

cool man, got some pics??/

lowlancer, the resident "post whore" has a celeste with a sohc carby (sigma) 4g63, and caboon at large has an early 80s EX lancer with the same conversion... to me it sounds fairly straight forward but either of those guys will have some correspondence on the later DOHC turbo conversions.... anyhtings possible, and cheap to you, being a mechanic, so no labour costs!!

hello ppl

i recently was given a 1977 mitsi celeste 1600 (G37B) 5SM

im wondering if these engine swaps apply to my little car to ?

i am hoping to use either a 4g63bt or vr4/evo engine which would be the easiest and what are the pros and cons.

im a mechanic so doing the work isnt a problem i just know knothing about this car at all and the internet isnt helping!

Ha welcome! I have a Celeste too, finally another person/weirdo with one

Seeing as it's the 1600, as long as you get a VR4, which has the place to have RWD mounts, it shouldn't be too big a job. You can use a couple of Gearboxes, the turbo starion probably the best choice as both the VR4s and the turbo starions ran the wide blocked 63s I believe, and obviously the Starion was RWD like your car.

You'll need to cut the trans tunnel for that gearbox as I did, as the box sits further back than standard, however mine was an auto, thus had a bigger tunnel, so don't ask me if it'll be sweet otherwise. Should be, the 63 boxes aren't that big and I have massive clearance with mine.

To make it easier, just get a SOHC RWD 4G63 turbo from the sigmas etc, straight fit, everything needed, no fucking with mounts etc. But seeing as you have the know how, meh, may as well have the best.

You'll need to look at the diff too, as the 1600 one won't take a lot of abuse, like mine (It's fucked, and mine's only the carby fed 63), so probably go with a 2litre sigma diff head or L200 LSD, not sure which one fits the 1600 set-up.

Look out for things like exhaust manifold clearances, as my ones barely clear the steering box thingy.

Other than that, keep us, me in particular, posted on progress. Should be badass.

If you want any info on the Celestes, PM me or ask here. Another guy, fuel, he know's everything about mitsys, so he's a good source too.

Im not 100% sure on what gearboxes you can use.

i say if your gonna use the vrb block then just get one and try some gear boxes out.Sounds like the l200 box and the 4d52 gearbox mount up, im not ure about the rest.The boxes are cheap as chips so meh, might just have to try afew.

Not 2 difficult with the VR4 motor, its just the water piping and the cam senser will foul with the firewall, also need to cut and weld up the intake mani to get the throttle body facing the right way.No biggy there, can also use the old starion 4g63bt exhorst manifold too to get it all facing the right way.

Can bolt the l200 diffs into the moleste (so ive been told) so i say get the 2.6 LSD one, should hold up for a while at least

Good luck

sohc exhaust manifold will not fit dohc, ports are spaced totally differently, vr4 block is narrow, starion is wide, vr4 will bolt up to sigma 4g63 box (cable clutch), as will clutch and flywheel ( as long as you go for the 6 bolt crank, which most early ones are any way) cam angle sensor should be pretty easy, (5lb sledge fixed it for me :D) water pipes are reasonably easy, i've modified a rwd water pump to fit fwd block which lets me use std bottom radiator hose, have removed heater core from the system for the time being and i havent got a thermostat in the system because there is nowhere for the water to bypass it. top hose is a little more involved, i used a thermostat housing from a 180b, bolted to a plate that bolts up to the mitsi motor, the neck of the housing points down and allows the water pipe to come to the front of the engine bay underneath the inlet manifold.

i'm only running a naturally aspirated motor at the moment, in a sigma for a little bit of fun, am picking up an ex lancer that will be getting the full rally treatment, cage seats harnesses, and eventually a vr4 based turbo power plant.

Guest jomojojo

To make it easier, just get a SOHC RWD 4G63 turbo from the sigmas etc, straight fit, everything needed, no fucking with mounts etc.

chur for the ideas guys...:D

this route seems most sensible as this car is to be my daily driver as i also own a Holden HQ 308 so money is tight. Especially with 1.44 p/l petrol prices :evil:

So far i am thinking 4G63 SOHC RWD turbo,L200 2.6 LSD,Starion gearbox.

what driveshaft would be best.

Anyone got other suggestions

:lol: