working my 1300 xflow

danger

Recently my 1300 xflow died mysteriously. Still dont know why but suspect the rings all died at once.

Anyhow iv got it apart and im looking at a few mods. already has a cam and extractors and iv just finished porting and polishing the head, what else can i do cheaply that would boost power. I dont want to spend alot of money as my mercedes is still off the road.

Cheers

did you port the head properly of just wizz around it with a drill.... if it's the latter then it will might cost you power rather than produce it.

I wouldnt bother going for big valves etc if you don't wanna spend money.

index and side-gap your plugs and advance your ignition is all I can suggest to grab a few free horses.

There's a article on my site about side-gapping plugs.

Yeah i just had a crack at it with a drill, nothing too drastic just cleaning it all up and getting rid of the burrs and lips.

Cheers RT i'll look into that. its got a standard carb on it at the mo but im looking at either slapping a webber on it or trying to get or make a manifold to fit a set of 11/4" twin S.Us iv'e got. What i really want to do is make a manifold for quad S.Us. hate to think how hard itd be to set up and tune tho.

Whats the story with 1100cc pistons etc? that just raise compression? what should i do to the ignition?

quad cabs? on a 1300?... hmmm I think that could be a little overkill.

I probably would bother doing piston swaps etc.. if you want significantly more power just put a 1600 Xflow in there. The're exaclty the same only a cm taller. Everything will bolt up and and you won't need a cert or nothing.

If you start doing too much to the 1300 it will get out of hand. Do this, do that.. then you need to do this etc etc and $$$$ and it's still a 1300. Mate of mine went down the same track on his Toyota 4K.

He started just doing a few things and before you know it, it was blue-printed and engineered etc etc and cost heaps in the end. Sure, it was a weapon of a 1300.. the fastest 1300 I've ever seen.

But it was still a 1300 and a waste of money when he could have done all that to a bigger engine for way more power.

Guest Demonmk2

yeah the guy who i brought my escorrt off has a 1300 worked sprint engine worth 3k or somthing he took me 4 a blat in that and fuck it goes for a 1300 :S it would kick my ass and im 300cc's more than him pretty funnyn driving buy when u see a 1300 fly past you

Guest Demonmk2

umm it had its engine code or what ever you call it on the cert and stated it was a 1300 it was in his car and why would he lie to me to say its a 1300 no big bonus in saying its a 1300 rather than 1600 :S

have you been listening to the convo at all? were saying that you can put a 1600 in a 1300 and not get it certed as theyre so similar.. basically..

my 4dr has 1.3 on its rego and is a 1600 :twisted: the guy i bought thought it was a 1300 too 8)

You're right, you might be able to trick the WoF man, but if you have an accident you're not going to trick the Insurance assessor who will happily null and void your policy for having that wrong capacity engine in there.