Polishing wheels

Jerm

Exactly, EVERYWHERE!

Put it this way, before I got my car, the previous owner sandblasted the roof after he took the ugly vinyl crap off it and when I was changing my roof lining this weekend I was constantly getting sand in my eyes (being I was looking up and it was falling out of the roof.

STUPID SAND!

Doing rims though, should be sweet as just do it either outside or try contain some of the sand by doing it in a small garden shed or something.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamezuu

Good place in chch is elite wheel company on st asaph guy at course got his hotwires polished and black parts repainted for $110, real good job too.

Guest kornstar

ok, so i tried the sandpaper and autosol on my tridents, but it fucken sux, it made it worse. its shiny metal but not see your self in the reflection shiny lol, any ideas?

• 4 years later...

Welcome to my first ever venture into the scary Tech Forum. :shock:

..or small expense for long, grueling, quasi-pro job but with the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself AND IT TOOK FOREVER! :D

This is me right now. I've taken three factory painted wheels back to bare metal with stripping discs and a power drill, then sanded and polished them. Power drill is almost wrecked, work area is a mess, I still need to source another wheel and the shine isn't so great. Using fine grades of wet-and-dry prior to buffing with a buffing attachment and cake of magic polishing compound gave a dull and cloudy result for some reason - surface needed to be rougher?

But my question is, how do I protect the wheels now?

Presumably the bare metal will be harder to clean, more vulnerable to brake dust and will eventually oxidise etc? If I spray them with any old clear topcoat, I'm worried that the heat from my front brakes might fry the clear coat off next track day.

A former flatmate works at a professional wheel repair place, and he showed me the clear coat stuff they spray straight onto bare metal. It said nothing about heat resistance. Apparently this is followed up by coats of the normal 2-pac clear (or something), and I could talk them down to $100/wheel to coat mine in this manner. Not worth it considering the quality of my preparation work! :lol: (Curbing? Meet mister rigid sandpaper disc..)

I have raw polished rims on my polo, i used up to 1200 grit on a lathe at low speed with heaps of water/detergent, then polished with a mop on a drill and using the red rouge paste, after i had done about 3-4 hours on each i moved to autosol and hands to do the final polish. Came up nice except for the low spots where the stripping disc took a bit too much material out. On the car they are covered with brake dust within a couple of minutes, i got around it by putting 10 or so coats of really good quality wax on, it takes the chrome like brightness out of the polished alloy a bit, but it makes em easy to clean up, just a dry rag before washing the car and then just treat them like a painted panel..