sheepers tries to fix an old compressor.

sheepers

once id gotten the thing apart i had a look inside the tank and it wasn't great, it also wasn't terrible but yea. im sure there are many, many tanks being filled with compressed air every day that look way worse but still i wasn't keen on having it explode in my face.

so i took the tank to get pressure tested.

the joker said it was too rusty for him to certify but that's cool with me, i don't need any documentation, i just need to know its safe. so its at the testing place now. once its tested i will get the tank blasted and then ill paint it some colour, probably whatever colour i have enough of to do the job.

then i had a go at fixing the belt shroud. i had to make a bunch of metal brackets to bridge all the breaks i could and bolt it all back together. I also had to make a big aluminium bit to fill in a huge piece that was missing completely. 

when its a whole unit its pretty strong, ill make a bracket to support the far end of it (the whole thing hangs off the 4 bolts around the crank spigot and thats it) once i put the thing back together on the tank.

20240321_150310.jpg

20240321_150318.jpg

20240323_104550.jpg

20240323_104601.jpg

20240323_104613.jpg

20240323_104635.jpg

20240323_104640.jpg

20240323_121619.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, sheepers said:

this is the old compressor from work. its been on a pallet kicked around from place to place for the last 10 years or so.

its Italian, 44CFM 7HP 3 phase with a 270L tank.

and because of that its fucked in many ways. the pressure switch is smashed off, the inlet filter is completely gone, the shroud around the belts is badly broken, the wiring for this thing is all up the shit also the electric motor shroud is all smashed in.

it hasn't run in many years and when i picked it up from work it wouldn't even turn.

i took it home, waterblasted it and pulled it to bits.

20240312_093619.jpg

20240312_165212.jpg

20240313_185142.jpg

We had a similar one at work but a precision brand. Fark me that poor thing rattled and banged away for hour after farking hour. It would blow a head gasket quick pit stop and away she would go again. 

It actually never died we swapped it out for a screw compressor and sold it on.

That machine will ace for home use.

• Like 1

^a long time ago i helped Dad decommission a pair of Broomwades, and install a new atlas copco. Those broomies are big, noisy ugly old things. But they run forever.  I used to flat with a guy who used to work at a compressor place. He told a similar tale about how they fed a couple of them onto the metal shredder at the scrappies. And the horriffic noises the shredder made as it munched them up. (Probably not a bad as the noises they made while they were running! Lololol)

/ling

On 23/03/2024 at 23:03, yetchh said:

Nice... looks like a red dwarf.. 

At "some point in the future" I have this 10hp Broomwade to reco.. Think it was out of a mine

IMG_20230215_115628_copy_2918x2188.thumb.jpg.0d0cfda54bbb8c6ed139262042d431f9.jpg

Haha my old man was given one of those, it was somehow a oil free model to pistons or some shit was in the Auckland uni to pump air in a fish tank! Painted many a car.

Need help. 

The pipe that goes from the compressor to the tank is to short.

The fittings are M33 x 1.5 and the tube is about 35mm aluminium. 

I've seen some jokers using a nylon braided flex line which I'm not sure about. 

This pipe gets hot which is why they're copper or aluminium. 

Having said that the pipe from the compressor to the tank in my MS51 is nylon and it gets plenty hot.  10 years without and drama. 

So yea what do you reckon?

Anyone got experience with a flex line straight off the compressor?

Tell me what you think. 

20240329_162009.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sheepers said:

Need help. 

The pipe that goes from the compressor to the tank is to short.

The fittings are M33 x 1.5 and the tube is about 35mm aluminium. 

I've seen some jokers using a nylon braided flex line which I'm not sure about. 

This pipe gets hot which is why they're copper or aluminium. 

Having said that the pipe from the compressor to the tank in my MS51 is nylon and it gets plenty hot.  10 years without and drama. 

So yea what do you reckon?

Anyone got experience with a flex line straight off the compressor?

Tell me what you think. 

20240329_162009.jpg

I'd go a hydraulic hose, or we used a hi temp braided line on our 12v compressor in our service ute as it gets farking hot.

Or hydraulic hard line with some cutting rings?

• Like 1

Good excuse to put some form of heat exchanger in the system? A car AC condensor will be rated to ~250psi which would be an easy addition.

Guess would be original was 1-1/4" tube?

A std polymer hose won't be up to the temps unless it has some form of reinforcement, depending on the application, service temp can really drop the rating too.
Almost any metallic tubing at that size range will be good for 100Bar and not care about temp. Metallic connection will also give at least some effort of dumping heat before the receiver, comes down to access to suitable bending gear and compression fittings can get spendy over 1"
If you go for steel, make sure the bends are in such a way so that thermal expansion doesn't try to pull them apart, a big elbow usually does the trick.

• Like 1

The other common reason for using alloy and copper is heat dissapation. Cheap AF heat exchanger pipe if you will.   Braided ss line is good for flexi use. We also used these alot in trucks as the heat and pressure together kills everything the OEM fitted too quickly.  Gunna be alot easier but probably not as cheap then using other materials, depending on your ability to do it yourself., which you seem more than capable.

I’ve got a much smaller but very stout homebuilt compressor and that’s got the flexi braided hoses. Has lasted well and it’s worked pretty hard for me at times.

the guy who built it also added a large pc fan to the compressor head to draw air across it. It’s an IR head so has quite nice castings so I’m sure the air flow helps keep it happy