Truenotch's 1997 Toyota GranV - Francis Jellybean

Truenotch

22 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Don't forget to make a wooden tray for the dash and fill it with things including seashells, crystals, tiny Buddha figures, half smoked joints, entry tickets from luminate festival 2019 etc etc. 

Add some prayer flags around the ceiling and you're pretty much sorted for entry into tasman/golden bay. 

Bahaha, Mum and Dad have a 100 series hiace camper, and it's got a collection of driftwood and rocks and shells sitting on the passenger side of the dash in that hollow they all have. Mum jokingly calls it her beach

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2024 at 11:18, Rhyscar said:

This is a great investment and the swivel seats are so lush. Will be great for sleeping at the track and general adventures! 

How good is 1kz towing life? This has IRS correct?

The 1KZ towed just fine. It's no rocket up hills with a car on a trailer and a full load in the van, but it did the trick. 

And the check engine light only flashed twice on my way south :scratch:. No idea what it was for. The first time was around 10 seconds just out of Amberley and the second time was just a flash near Geraldine.

Good van though. I started my North Island holiday around Christmas time and have been driving and camping in it since then. The IRS makes it handle nice enough and I've only had a couple of minor issues so far. 

Had to stop on the Desert Rd for the standard photo: 

image.thumb.png.be593f6caa1caa1893b4e752b5fdbead.png

Then South Waikato was so humid the OUTSIDE of the car fogged up: 

image.thumb.png.f30841736681f754bd042edcd0f2f967.png

image.thumb.png.a1d2be83b80eb19272080b30de04c9b1.png

Note the single wiper conversion. The driver's side wiper spindle is so sloppy that the wiper wouldn't touch the screen over 80kph. 

Whangamata: 

image.thumb.png.343a6e3088b9ae08e0516b8c3bfedcb6.png

Katikati:
image.thumb.png.395105e491911a4b9ca37a388a6ce744.png

Te Puna:
image.thumb.png.1168699f31c83455e07e2e772a3030ba.png

Rotoiti for @Gaz's NY birthday:
image.thumb.png.3a943cc1faac6b862149459cd223bd5f.png

Taupo: 
image.thumb.png.3bac37caeea4faa855a1f7f23aa6bbe0.png

Kaimai Camping:
image.thumb.png.0cc56ae1b3e0bddfe76772fa02c78343.png

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Truenotch said:

Somehow this van appears to have magical powers and the temp has stayed below halfway throughout the whole summer of 3000+km. 

Look up the 1kz temperature gauge resistor mod.

Toyota fitted resistors to really slow the temp gauge down in the 1kz powered vehicles, by the time it actually does start to move above half things are real hot!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm pretty sure that only works on early 90's  hiluxes, I couldn't do it on my kzn185 (if you can I couldn't find the method) @Truenotch is the van quite heavy? I used to get 9.5km/l with mine and that would jump to 13-14km/l towing with me doing 95-100kph.. 

• Like 1

I think they're about 2000kg with all the seats in? It would've been a bit lighter than that for my camping trip.

The odo also under reads a bit. It was around 10-11 l/100km when I worked out the first tank based on GPS km rather than what the dash told me. 

• Like 1

Sounds about right fuel economy wise.

They're pretty sensitive to how you drive too. Lots of full boost time makes it suck diesel. It is a pretty old Design motor and the electric pumps are getting to an age where sensors/ecus are giving a bit of grief 

My kzj78 on 33s does about 14l/100k on average. With the caravan/parachute on the back it was much worse.  But was also working pretty hard . Never been hot other than when the head ate shit. But otherwise it's done a lot more towing than a 1kz probably should and still does it 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Sounds about right fuel economy wise.

They're pretty sensitive to how you drive too. Lots of full boost time makes it suck diesel. It is a pretty old Design motor and the electric pumps are getting to an age where sensors/ecus are giving a bit of grief 

My kzj78 on 33s does about 14l/100k on average. With the caravan/parachute on the back it was much worse.  But was also working pretty hard . Never been hot other than when the head ate shit. But otherwise it's done a lot more towing than a 1kz probably should and still does it 

Must be a power thing then, my 185 was rated at 106kw vs I guess the 96kw of the kzj, what were you getting on standard 31's

35 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Must be a power thing then, my 185 was rated at 106kw vs I guess the 96kw of the kzj, what were you getting on standard 31's

Can't remeber but it wasn't that bad.

Maybe 12ish L per 100km

@yetchh

56 ohm 5w and 120 ohm 5w resistors for the 3rd gen Surf temp gauge.

Replace the factory resistor on the back of the gauge with the 120 ohm, replace the zenor diode with the 56ohm.

Been doing a bit more reading about it, it's not just 1kz vehicles with a factory "dead zone" in the gauge, it's most factory temperature gauges, but after a lot of people complaining/panicking about the needle fluctuating a lot in the earliest 1kz models Toyota went ham on the dampening.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Raizer said:

Been doing a bit more reading about it, it's not just 1kz vehicles with a factory "dead zone" in the gauge, it's most factory temperature gauges, but after a lot of people complaining/panicking about the needle fluctuating a lot in the earliest 1kz models Toyota went ham on the dampening.

What about the modern Toyotas that don't have a gauge, just a big red panic light? Is it likely to be to late to save it by the time the light comes on?

Perhaps this discussion should be taken to the tech spam thread?