Tomble's adorable go cart / distraction / Alto Works

tomble

I'm stoked for you man, what a cool wee car and an awesome colour. Still a little dark you outbid me though :lol:

The aftermarket on these things is incredible. Almost anything you can think of, so ill be watching closely how you get on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wired up a front and rear dashcam, because I can't go without it.

nShrRtE.jpg

6TYb6Q4.jpg

tJ3sWq3.jpg

As already stated, the japanese owner had massacred the head unit surround when he'd installed his, and kept it when he sold the car, blanking the space off. It turns out there's an actual genuine blanking plate for the alto. Huh.

hSdMLz4.jpg

sPF198v.jpg

hY5DpGY.jpg

We splashed on a nice head unit, but in what is becoming a pattern for me, I'm always gung-ho about installing it then get ice-cold feet when I get so much as a glance at the wiring involved.  So we took it to a pro shop - I don't want to mangle my happy new car.  While I was there I got them to hardwire the dashcam because the fuse box style wasn't conducive to my usual use-a-fuse-tap method.

The head unit is great, though we'll have to do something about the speakers and get a sub.

eok3iSt.jpg

I also finally got around to putting this badge on.

IuqWQqS.jpg

To get it properly lined up, I found a square image on the interwebs and projected lines.

0Lj58jv.jpg

The car still needs a polish, there's some deep grit in there, so I just did a quick hand polish on the site to make it a little easier to clean around the badge later.

Then I took a spirit level and put it on the roof, noted the bubble's position on my driveway, and used masking tape + that position to figure out where to place the logo.

9JUh3kJ.jpg

A few rounds of adjustments happened before I was happy to pull off the adhesive and make it permanent.

rg06VgD.jpg

RKXOv1q.jpg

hcnjn3a.jpg

The badge itself looks great, and it really adds to the look of the rear end. I have no idea why the last owner removed it!

QudQ05R.jpg

Oh and our road trip to Hamilton last weekend needed a last minute zip tie repair before we left, I knew the exhaust wasn't always that clangy!

So far it's temporarily permanent. I need to figure out what this hanger is and how I can get another one.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Looking good. Let me know if you need any genuine part numbers, I have a copy of the parts book here, albeit in Japanese.

Im pretty sure I can guess where you live, since you went passed my colleagues place in your dashcam video #stalker :lol:

Regarding the broken exhaust mount, looks like a pretty generic rubber exhaust bobbin. The issue there is they aren't really designed to be used in that sideways sort of loading, so you'll probably keep breaking them. Might be worth seeing if there is another option you can put together.

My nugget should be here this week. Hopefully I'll see yours around.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Im pretty sure I can guess where you live, since you went passed my colleagues place in your dashcam video

I think with all the pix and vid I've uploaded to this site you could easily locate me. It helps that there's a GPS coordinates in the dashcam video too lol.

I need the side decals but have already gotten a quote from suzuki, over $800 to ship from Japan, nope!

From searching it looks like the broken component is a bobbin-type exhaust mount, good call on the stresses and I'll get my shop's opinion on what it could be replaced with

Following "maybe not suitable for side loads" advice I took the car to some trusted mechanics. I angle-ground the old rusted bolt off and they ended up just replacing the bobbin-style hanger with another one so I'm telling myself I spent the extra $70 on peace of mind.

mtl5020.jpg

Pic of some shopping trolleys, as well as a VW and toyota

jUfc4oA.png

I also noticed that all the wheels tuck in nicely as soon as people load in. Explains the bumpy ride with a full car :)

nhdJHBD.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I was (and still am) so gutted for you guys. I couldn't believe it when I came back into the pits and was told your Alto had failed to proceed. I was really looking forward to a good Alto battle out on the track.

Next time.

• Like 2

On 27/01/2024 at 14:13, shrike said:

Is there any go fast bit options? Other then turbo/injectors/tune 

Crank to far gone to grind and run oversize bearings?

Stroking or compression tweaks?

Is yours FWD or AWD?

FWD. The crank is discoloured from overheating and as I understand it this kills the crank. People who know more than me say "yeah nah" so I'm just nodding my head there :)

We found an expensive aftermarket built engine parts place http://www.cadcars.info/newparts.html but that's beyond what I'm willing to spend and the turbo/injectors/tune route seems like a reasonable boost of power for the price.

One option is a rebuild with new crank etc, I've got an inquiry sitting with Amayama, in the meantime we're tearing the engine down to see what's good/bad and try to find any smoking guns. Another option instead of Amayama is to get a cheaper used engine - potentially NA because they share crank - as a source of parts. Engines after 2019 have some part number tweaks to fix some earlier engine issues which complicates it a little as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cletus said:

Is a complete new long block available from suzuki? 

You would think a small 3 cyl engine from a current? model would be cost effective to buy but probably not 

If it is, it's not in the parts book 

• 3 weeks later...