Rhyscar's caravan of treasures

Rhyscar

Wow thanks @Stu I know nothing about caravans. Anything to look out for? Unsurprisingly, it is very lightweight and my key concern is repairing the frame so I don't need to run my wooden stripper pole setup long-term. Might beef up the trailer while I'm at it too. I'm guessing these are pretty common issues?

Somehow, Hamilton is the capital of caravan manufacturing so I'm sure I'll find an old barry to help with bits and pieces. 

^ This. Don Jessen runs the page and his Dad started Liteweight so its fair to say he knows a fair bit about them.

Dave @ Motorhome and Caravan World in Hamilton worked at Liteweight too so is probably the guy to talk to if you need anything

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the wheel arches and the drawbar that is an early liteweight 1500. I suspect possibly late 1960's or very early 70's.

I would gas off that draw bar and remake, did one side on my 1980's van, not a big job if you have access to a welder and some one to drive it.

You plan for a 200 litre water tank could be a problem for weight unless you do a wheel and tire upgrade. The dinky 13 inch wheels and 165 tires are only good for 1200kg (need to check the load rating on mine, I think it is 600 kg per tire) The trojan suspension should be the 1500 kg model. The other thing is the chassis is designed to be light and they do twist around. 

Enough Barrying for the moment, enjoy the project, they are a good unit to play with.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info! 

Yeah I was planning on sandblasting and strengthening up the frame, maybe even adding a reverse triangulated brace (dunno what these are called) underneath.
And yes wider wheels and higher rated tyres are on the agenda. I’ve got a set of 13” work wheels sitting behind the shed that should do the trick. 

No suspension on this one, axle just bolted straight to the frame. Keeping the fixings lightweight will be a priority I’m thinking I’ll make a lot of stuff in alloy and get it powder-coated. 

small bit of progress getting this thing onto the back lawn. Required modifying the back steps to be removable to get it past the garage. Win.

Now I don’t need to look at it outside my kitchen window every day!

IMG_6392.jpeg

29DDBD0D-F842-4FF4-94B2-853686C25097.jpeg

IMG_6388.jpeg

• Like 6