Custom clutch in nz?

drftnmaz

Is there any NZ companies that still make custom clutch's? I used to use Autoclutch but he closed down ages ago, unsure who does this sort of work in nz these days?

I'm building a tow wagon using QD32 engine with added turbos so need to upgrade the clutch to handle but got quoted $1930 from BNT at trade price for one from xtremeclutch in aus (full face cermic plate rated for 560nm, KNI25004-1C)

Maybe i'm getting too old(and inflation is crazier than I thought) but $2k for a clutch seems over the top?

4 minutes ago, kws said:

Give these guys a bell, https://www.mpautoparts.co.nz/

Plus one for these guys. Greg is a good guy and has made me a couple of clutches. I have one of their hybrid puk clutches in my Starlet behind the CA18DET, organic on one side and ceramic(?) on the other, so you get some clutch feel but it can take more power than a fully organic clutch.
It must have been at least 7 years ago though. Might have been around $600 back then.

4 hours ago, drftnmaz said:

I used to use Autoclutch but he closed down ages ago, 

Nothing to add other that Eugene did pretty decent work at a pretty decent price. Some people had run-ins with him but I thought he was algood..

Mate of mine has a single plate autoclutch in his 500+ wheel kw supra that he's used drifting, used on the street, and run full slicks at the track.. no dramas..

Thanks heaps guys!

I've been in contact with Greg at Mp and also Drews automotive, both have recommended the same upgrade of drilling and tapping flywheel to fit a more commonly available diesel pressure plate (from D40 best i can tell) and both are in the $1200-1300 range so more what I'd expect.

Only minor problem is freight, flywheel on it's own is 25kg(before packaging), but most places won't take over 25kg and I need to send pressure plate aswell, so i'll have to use mainfreight or some such, this freight issue put me off going even further to Christchurch but do really appreciate the info and i'm sure others will see this one day and use them.

On 10/08/2023 at 10:42, drftnmaz said:

Thanks heaps guys!

I've been in contact with Greg at Mp and also Drews automotive, both have recommended the same upgrade of drilling and tapping flywheel to fit a more commonly available diesel pressure plate (from D40 best i can tell) and both are in the $1200-1300 range so more what I'd expect.

Only minor problem is freight, flywheel on it's own is 25kg(before packaging), but most places won't take over 25kg and I need to send pressure plate aswell, so i'll have to use mainfreight or some such, this freight issue put me off going even further to Christchurch but do really appreciate the info and i'm sure others will see this one day and use them.

Why not source a full D40 clutch kit locally and drill the flywheel yourself? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...