Squares 82 Nana spec 323 hatch

square

cheers yeah Im pumped on it, pointless but it'll keep me busy. Ive got a mate in town with another one the same, he wants the same swap done. I dont need it to be fast, I have other fast shit, its just needs to be loud and slow looking. 

My main concerns will be flywheel diameter, starter placement and track width etc, hopefully the tie rod inputs etc arent too dissimilar on the later mazdas or whatever I use and I can keep the steering rack and everything stock. The last design approval I did sucked the life out of me for a while. 

I sort of need to get the engine first to start mockups but haven't had any good options jump out, 13b sounds the best bet for parts availability. One gem I read was the the auto counterweights on the 13b has a different flange which will allow alot more flywheel options, that what the grey BFMR used. 

Talking to a few mates in motorsport the Honda boxes sound like the handle the power better and probably easier to get brake upgrades etc for, I might need a parts car 

Might be rocking horse poo now but what about using BFMP familia box, axles, brakes etc

from memory its all bolt in to the earlier one? better brakes as well

probably handle an na rotary if it dealt with a turbo 1600 (just, haha)

my old boss loved lasers/323s, we wrecked/tarted up and sold heaps of them in the late 90s early 00s

yeah that could be the go if I could get one, my thinking was the donor trans doesn't matter too much, I just would try and start with something closer to the wanger hp wise ( i figure 200 at flywheel ) which seems closeish to  what the 2.3 later familia / atenza motors are.

Im might start pesting round the rally prep shops and see if any of them have any old mazda stuff

• 3 weeks later...

Hey dude, Im not sure how well you know the fwd Toyota gearboxes but the C160 are ok but not very strong compared to the C56 5 speed variant.  In a nutshell C1** series boxes have lighter internals (gearsets and crown wheels) compared to the C** series boxes.  I run a C56 (albeit a mix match of several boxes) behind my 4agte that's somewhere in the 240fwkw range.  What sort of power are you expecting to make?

• Like 1

cheers yeah it seems like theyre in demand, Ive ended up with a complete C160 conversion including axles and dash so im sure someone will want it.

Havent had any C56s jump up at me yet, then a mate hit a deer in his sp20 the other night and fucked it so that might be a good option to strip, dunno if the later mazda manuals are any tougher than the early ones