MS51HT's RS56 Crown Ute - Discussion

MS51HT

13 hours ago, Ja1lb8 said:

Can't wait to see some more progress on this.  Love this model crown!  Any photos of your other coupes and sedan?

Keep up the good work

Thanks dude!

I’ve got plans to create threads for the other cars over the coming weeks in an effort to keep myself on-task (now I’ve said that it sounds counterintuitive to actually getting anything done on said cars) but also as a record of what I’ve done over the past few years!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kiwi808 said:

Rad! Will be following along with interest!

I assume you are converting this to a 13b? (Sorry, inside joke)

Cheers dude!

A Toyota power plant will be the go - it’ll make registration easier when the time comes. Anything other than an OEM engine will force me to meet certain ADR’s ( such as a collapsible steering column) which I just don’t have the parts to support :(

With that being said, I’ll probably change my mind and try and slip a 1J in before all is said and done!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My buddy who is a qualifed panelbeater of 25 years steered me away from using spot weld bits. His theory is a 3/16" pilot hole followed by an ordinary 13mm drill to punch through the first layer of steel, leaving most of the bottom layer in tact (hence using a drill bit much larger than the spot weld, also perfect alignment becomes a non issue). He also uses a bone handled kitchen knife sharpened into a chisel to pry the panels apart. After initial trepidation I have to concede his experience fully wins here. And you can resharpen a dirty old 13mm bit!!

Ps, great build

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good to see someone else tackling a massive rust bucket.

Your patch looks good, but I wanted to point out that if you make it to fit over the existing panel, it won't be quite right when you cut the rusty bit out due to the metal thickness - your swage will be wider etc. For a hidden piece like this it won't matter much, just adjust the ends to match at the cut.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nominal said:

Good to see someone else tackling a massive rust bucket.

Your patch looks good, but I wanted to point out that if you make it to fit over the existing panel, it won't be quite right when you cut the rusty bit out due to the metal thickness - your swage will be wider etc. For a hidden piece like this it won't matter much, just adjust the ends to match at the cut.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback mate - duly noted. Figured my method would be somewhat agricultural and that there would be some variation once I cut the rusty shit out. 
I’m fortunate that no one will see this once it’s got a 1/4 panel over one side and bed liner on the other. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dabuzz said:

You are fking crazy

I love it

IMO You really should get both halves blasted and epoxied before going too far (like you haven't already:shock:), makes life so much easier in the long run

Ha ha ha ha

Thanks!

Agreed, blasting + epoxy on both parts would be best. 
Unfortunately it’s not money I can justify spending when taking all other life costs at the moment. 
I’ll just have to settle for a wire wheel and rust converter / sealer for now. 
All junctions will be treated behind the seams to the best of my ability - which will be 100x better than the effort spent at the plant it was built (and it still lasted 50+ years!!!)