Sleeektoy's 1965 Daihatsu Compagno. Discussion

sleeektoy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is coming along great, looks like its not even very rusty?

I have bought the same side lamps for my 1100T van, I knew you would have some at least some joy in the older fiat parts bin :)

Could you say where you got the tank done, and if you dont mind, how much?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azzurro said:

This is coming along great, looks like its not even very rusty?

I have bought the same side lamps for my 1100T van, I knew you would have some at least some joy in the older fiat parts bin :)

Could you say where you got the tank done, and if you dont mind, how much?

Cheers, there isn't any structural rust at all - its all surface and patina rust.

I just got lucky those lights fitted

Pm'd about the tank

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, dabuzz said:

super cool little car, amazed you can find 'any' parts for it!

Out of interest, who reco's water pumps these days now that Muzzas waterpumps has gone?

cheers - it has been a major uphill battle to find parts or alternatives.

I was lucky to have a yarn to muzzas just before it closed for good - Alan from Omni Engineering in Wigram, Christchurch has purchased all the new kit from there and is continuing pump reconditioning.

An alternative he said is Waikato Engine reconditioners in St Andrews Hamilton.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good luck with the compliance thing. How many of these things are even road legal world wide?

My vote is paint the bits that need to be proven rust free/post compliance. Leave the rest as is = story.

It would be a massive massive shame if this needed to be stripped back for compliance and all that history got lost.

DISCLAIMER: Have had one or two before posting…

Edited by kiwi808
Massively steamed.
  • Like 2

Cheers,  Compliance I hope wont be too bad. Mechanically and WoF items are all good, just the body/chassis to sort.

There's a few in Japan, Aussie and Thailand i have seen. Probably only a couple of dozen or so spread around the world. 800cc earlier ones seem rarer and 2 door sedans rarer still as i've only spotted 2 of these. Utes and convertibles most common.

I know painting it is a shame for the patina - but it really is on that cusp of going bad with rust. I think exposing it to the elements will accelerate the fact it needs painting anyway. Still on the fence about it

• Like 1