Sleeektoy's 1965 Daihatsu Compagno. Discussion

sleeektoy

Cool!

The name and interior/exterior design is obviously very italian.

If this is more than imitation as flattery, and there was a design house involved or manufacture partnership, finding bits could be much easier.

Not nesessarily cheaper, but probably more plentiful.

Dash Switches look like fiat to me (whole car looks like an 850 or 1100 or 1200 coach build!), but steering wheel is more alfa in style

• Like 2

6 hours ago, azzurro said:

Cool!

The name and interior/exterior design is obviously very italian.

If this is more than imitation as flattery, and there was a design house involved or manufacture partnership, finding bits could be much easier.

Not nesessarily cheaper, but probably more plentiful.

Dash Switches look like fiat to me (whole car looks like an 850 or 1100 or 1200 coach build!), but steering wheel is more alfa in style

This lovely badge on the front guard - Vignale

and a Lancia Appia Lusso Berlina Vignale is the closest I have found to it

20221211_205745.thumb.jpg.478a6b5e2a7d82c407c2d076f9b13d69.jpg

• Like 5

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignale

According to wiki, Carrozzia Vignale was a coachbuilder in Turin (the T in FIAT) building several FIAT based specials (500 and 1100 models as suspected!) around that time before getting swept up by progressively bigger fish (de Tomaso) and ultimately Ford.

Based on the practice at the time, suspect the engine and underparts would be in house Daihatsu, possibly from another model in production, but the body and or interior bits may be alternatively sourced, built or speccced by Vignale, so likely parts bin, maybe from Fiat (sure look like),  or maybe a Daihatsu manufactured copy?

Wow. Fuck this is cool. I love these sort of build threads and this discussion thread is already super interesting. Man that 2 wagon is cool too! 

I just looked up the sizes and according to the wiki gods this little car is close to 100mm narrower then my Imp! But longer. So tiny then. 

Gonna follow your thread with much interest!  And yeah - If it were mine I too would be keeping that patina intact and just get the car safe and reliable + lowered on some widened steelies. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...