Project Golf kart

jessemk2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that seems to be the norm with the mk5/6 fsi turbos and friends same year s3

I already got some penrite synthetic here will compare use with the vw recommended Castrol that's in it.

I got a feeling it doesn't matter what oil you use it will chug it,what would be good to know is if there's a difference in carbon build up in the head between different oils.

Have you checked your spark plug tube oil levels? Cam cover gasket dies then contents of sump share space with your ignition coils. I syringed about 250ml out of mine after it started misfiring.

Just another place oil can disappear to.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2010 B6 Passat with the 2.0t TSI at 153k hasn't used any oil in the ~8,000kms I've done in it and I'm using a 10W40 full synthetic. Slight weep of oil present around the sump and cam tray of the cylinder head but not enough to leave (significant) drops that I've noticed. 

Definitely pull the inlet manifold and do a valve de-carb job though, it was night and day difference on mine.

Also, unsure if you figured out a radio but I got the RCD330 from Aliexpress for like $400. Basically the same as a modern car with CarPlay and Android Auto etc.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So this has the spacer thing on the rear cat sensor that came with the miltek exhaust,but the engine light(cat converter sensor)been on the whole time and I have only run it on Mobil or BP 98.

Put some gull 98 in the other week and the engine light self cleared about 10min after refueling and hasn't been back since

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jessemk2 said:

So this has the spacer thing on the rear cat sensor that came with the miltek exhaust,but the engine light(cat converter sensor)been on the whole time and I have only run it on Mobil or BP 98.

Put some gull 98 in the other week and the engine light self cleared about 10min after refueling and hasn't been back since

Is Gull 98 still an ethanol blend? Might explain it if the exhaust is a bit "cleaner" but not sure i'd be keen on running it.

• Like 1

Actually ive heard the opposite 

Mates wife is cooperate for a oil company

She told me 98 is all same base fuel then different oil companies add there additives at wiri(Auckland).

She did say something like npd use 95 as there base fuel and the additives boost it to 100,don't know how true it is but she has no reason to lie to me about it

Depends where they source it from - The usual mob of thieves buy the same stuff as you said, and add the same additives under their own brand names, to achieve the same result. Gull source theirs from elsewhere, hence the higher lab test results - 91 = closer to 93, 95 = closer to 97.5 - coincidentally the figure that BP/Mobil 98 guarantee as their minimum RON and their 98 = closer to 99.

NPD likely score their 100 from Gull 98 and top it up with toluene to hit the magic number.

• 4 weeks later...

Had this just over a year now and it's given me it first issue.

Sounds like it's running on 3

Did a scan and it's telling multi cylinder mis fire

Had a spare coil pack and original plugs so did a bit of investigating couldn't sort it.

I'll wait for my mate to get back from holidays he got 4 confirmed good coil packs before I start buying bits that might not fix it