SOHC,s Norton

SOHC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The down tube on the front of the frame had a budge in it about 20mm,managed to pull it back, also it was off to one side by about 20mm, got that good to, I will have to do some more measurements and see if its not bent anywhere elce.

20220821_162229.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I'm told it's common with mag sparked classic race cars - Ferraris etc - to use the mag or mags as a distributor for coil ignition. Finding someone to rebuild even 50's multi cylinder race mags is getting very hard. Guy I know down here has stopped doing them now. He showed me a mag he'd rebuilt for a RR Phantom which was doing the Peking - Paris. 12 Cylinder Bosch. It apparently never missed a beat  Last bike one he did was a Lucas for a Rudge I was building.

What's the alternator from ?  There are some very small ones now on small agricultural diesels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregT said:

I'm told it's common with mag sparked classic race cars - Ferraris etc - to use the mag or mags as a distributor for coil ignition. Finding someone to rebuild even 50's multi cylinder race mags is getting very hard. Guy I know down here has stopped doing them now. He showed me a mag he'd rebuilt for a RR Phantom which was doing the Peking - Paris. 12 Cylinder Bosch. It apparently never missed a beat  Last bike one he did was a Lucas for a Rudge I was building.

What's the alternator from ?  There are some very small ones now on small agricultural diesels.

Some mags can still be good at 90 years old, but could fail at any time, I killed one on my B31 I recon from the  lead falling off at full trottel, rebuild cost $1200 from the Maddocks, armature, was sent to Australia.

That little alternator/ ignition is from a Lifan 125, it has 3 lighting coils and a source coil and a pick up for the CDI, I will make it so I can retard it from the handelbar control

• Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 21:34, SOHC said:

Is there some bearing that could support that flywheel with the small sprocket on the other side? Then I dont have to use that mag body and I can tuck the flywheel ignition right behind the cylinder

You could use half a GN125 crank

• 2 weeks later...

Got some old tires from a friend's place, fitted new rim tapes and tubes, this will get it on its wheels to finish the mudgaurd stays, I will get new tires at another stage, front tire is a race tire so will probably be extra dodgy.

20221102_174647.jpg

• Like 3

Got the guards mounted, they are old bits of shit I found, stays are recycled junkcut and welded I, made sure everything has heaps of super stud lock on it and is straight and its good to go, that rear number plate/ light thing is off a Bantam, I choped it down, I might invest in a can of paint to touch up hear and there, I want to fuck up the chrome on the tank some how, I think you can do it with some acid and a rag and a car battery.

20221109_181647.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Almost finished the rear engine plates, still need to file out the slots for the mag platform, for some reason the oil tank doesn't fit now and would need spacing out, I have to make an adapter for the carburetor spigotthat has a 45 degree angle on it or shorten it drastically. 

20221128_200035.jpg

• Like 5