Brake cylinder resleeving stainless

rusty360

I had the master and wheel cylinders done on my Morrie. Great idea. New castings of them are not good, so resleeving the originals was perfect.

More expensive upfront if your parts are easily available, the brakes won't be any better, but in my case when I leave the car sitting for a few years and have to rebuild everything it's just a seal job and the cylinders are clean and free moving.

Big fan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tortron said:

I had the master and wheel cylinders done on my Morrie. Great idea. New castings of them are not good, so resleeving the originals was perfect.

More expensive upfront if your parts are easily available, the brakes won't be any better, but in my case when I leave the car sitting for a few years and have to rebuild everything it's just a seal job and the cylinders are clean and free moving.

Big fan

New cylinders are looking like 150 plus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwibirdman said:

Hi 

I have a bunch of left over bits from the EJ build that would go in your EH. The brakes on the car were rebuilt before I got it and never used. No idea if the wheel cylinders are any good, you are welcome to try them for no dollars.

Mike

Hey Mike, ya wagons looking awesome I'll flick ya a pm re brake bits later on

I worked for APPCO brake and clutch in the 80's. Originally we used to re-sleeve  with brass inserts; easy to hone, average wearing but most importantly easy to keep in place with an interference fit. Stainless was the holey grail but was not suitable for an interference fit, at the time we put a lot of R&D into finding a suitable adhesive to do the job - these days it's a no brainer! I'd suggest for re-sleeving to contact Just Brakes in Penrose.

Many old Holden parts in NZ are exorbitantly  priced, I buy most of my Holden 6 bits from Australia.

I've bought a lot of parts from these guys....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-FRONT-Brake-Drum-Wheel-Cylinder-PAIR-EH-Wag-Ute-HD-HR-HK-HT-HG-26-98mm/273838515012?fits=Model%3AE+Series&hash=item3fc20c2344:g:uLwAAOSw6lVe6b82

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sr2 said:

I worked for APPCO brake and clutch in the 80's. Originally we used to re-sleeve  with brass inserts; easy to hone, average wearing but most importantly easy to keep in place with an interference fit. Stainless was the holey grail but was not suitable for an interference fit, at the time we put a lot of R&D into finding a suitable adhesive to do the job - these days it's a no brainer! I'd suggest for re-sleeving to contact Just Brakes in Penrose.

Many old Holden parts in NZ are exorbitantly  priced, I buy most of my Holden 6 bits from Australia.

I've bought a lot of parts from these guys....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-FRONT-Brake-Drum-Wheel-Cylinder-PAIR-EH-Wag-Ute-HD-HR-HK-HT-HG-26-98mm/273838515012?fits=Model%3AE+Series&hash=item3fc20c2344:g:uLwAAOSw6lVe6b82

I saw those guys on trademe and was about to push buy now but thought I need to check and for some reason my wheel cylinders are a 1 inch bore 25.4mm so are like 150 each from the same crowd.