Jump to content

ThePogs Homebrew CNC Router Build


Recommended Posts

I have a new project on the go, a CNC router that I'm building from scratch. It is intended to be able to cut a full 2440*1220 sheet so will be a big bastard.

I was going to buy a China workbee ripoff, but I really need to be able to cut a full sheet and those are all pissy little ball screw setups that I wouldn't be able to mod to cut a full size sheet.

I have bought a whole lot of hardware from a dude, basically all the gear (servos/drivers electrical supply/rails/etc) off his machine that he built but never really got cranking. It was set up with timing belts which I will also use but with a fixed belt rather than the full loop he had.

I have also set up a sff machine with LinuxCNC to run it, the dude is a bit of a guru so can help me get it all set up.

So what I want to know is does anyone have a hookup for linear rails or know where I can get some decent gear without breaking the bank?

There are these on TM but I imagine the quality would leave a bit to be desired;

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2610934353

I also need a spindle motor but I have a lead on one of those that might come through.

The cad design is nearly there, I can post some pics to get youse fullas feedback, just in case some dumbfuckery is going on, but I'm a smart cunt so am convinced I'm right onto it regardless of reality.

Chur.

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more interested to see how you get on tbh I can show you pics of mine, whats wrongs with those rails?

edit and yea mine look like those ^^^

@Ned's got a neat jobber going on i hear too

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoKer said:

I'm more interested to see how you get on tbh I can show you pics of mine, whats wrongs with those rails?

@Ned's got a neat jobber going on i hear too

If you show me yours I'll show you mine

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 00quattro00 said:

Will be interested to see what you have, Ive sort of interested to build a machine that can take a 1830x6100 sheet

I suspect that would be at the limit of a belt drive setup due to belt stretch, maybe a rack setup... Why do you want it so big?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThePog said:

I suspect that would be at the limit of a belt drive setup due to belt stretch, maybe a rack setup... Why do you want it so big?

It would be for building some more aluminum boats, standard size sheet. I've done a lot of profile cutting work and I currently work servicing cnc plasmas and lasers so have a fair idea of what's needed, just haven't had much to do with routers

 

InOWWj3.jpg

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

What basic design are you going for? helped a mate set one up a few years back of similar size, the weight of the gantry would be hard on belts? he went for ball screws, we managed to drive it pretty hard, lost precision well before we got any whip out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NickJ said:

What basic design are you going for? helped a mate set one up a few years back of similar size, the weight of the gantry would be hard on belts? he went for ball screws, we managed to drive it pretty hard, lost precision well before we got any whip out of it.

 

This is where it is at right now. I need the bits i have bought to turn up so I can incorporate what i have. There is a carriage setup already so ignore what I have there, including the extrusion. The servo might come inboard as well. The frame is all fabricated steel and laser cut plates.

30mm 5m Timing belt. That toothed rotation tube is from a job i designed a while back, seemed like a good way to reduce the number of servos.

Obvs there is a lot more detail to go in yet.

81dBofN.jpg

LduV7q5.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 00quattro00 said:

It would be for building some more aluminum boats, standard size sheet. I've done a lot of profile cutting work and I currently work servicing cnc plasmas and lasers so have a fair idea of what's needed, just haven't had much to do with routers

Right around the corner from me is DNA boats, he uses a router to profile all his parts. I'm pretty sure his is just a standard sheet size and the designs just allow for it. He did mention a bigger machine last time we talked tho...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tag there @JoKer but im not allowed to comment in this thread as all serious CNC people laugh at the machine :)

it's 3d printed, user 3d printer parts, has zero rigidity, is slow as fuck, not mega accurate and runs on belts and skateboard wheels

but it's also $1000 from no machine to a working machine, and will do a full sheet, so i built that :)

LowRider2-CNC-Render-400x225.jpg

it's called the Lowrider2 CNC from V1 Engineering

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThePog said:

 

This is where it is at right now. I need the bits i have bought to turn up so I can incorporate what i have. There is a carriage setup already so ignore what I have there, including the extrusion. The servo might come inboard as well. The frame is all fabricated steel and laser cut plates.

30mm 5m Timing belt. That toothed rotation tube is from a job i designed a while back, seemed like a good way to reduce the number of servos.

Obvs there is a lot more detail to go in yet.

 

 

Thats actually pretty cool using the barrel, do you already have that part? 

Mates machine has a chunky ballscrew underneath along the midline, linear rails at the same level, the work surface is then suspended from either end above all the moving bits. While its not that rigid (about 0.5mm deflection if you lean on it) it does keep the dust well away from all greasy bits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NickJ said:

Thats actually pretty cool using the barrel, do you already have that part? 

Mates machine has a chunky ballscrew underneath along the midline, linear rails at the same level, the work surface is then suspended from either end above all the moving bits. While its not that rigid (about 0.5mm deflection if you lean on it) it does keep the dust well away from all greasy bits.

It was part of a job I did a while back, they have stacks of it lying around.

Yea I am slightly concerned about the belts getting dusty, I might mess with the placement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JoKer said:

I'm more interested to see how you get on tbh I can show you pics of mine, whats wrongs with those rails?

edit and yea mine look like those ^^^

@Ned's got a neat jobber going on i hear too

What are the rails like? Those ones seem pretty cheap but not anything like as cheap as getting them off Ali. Although I need 3m rails and the longest Ali ones are 1.5m so maybe they are a bit more legit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ThePog said:

 

So what I want to know is does anyone have a hookup for linear rails or know where I can get some decent gear without breaking the bank?

 

I've had a bit of gear from linearmotion.co.nz when I was at Trinders.

Unsure comparatively how it goes against the bank as I never had to pay myself haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ned said:

Thanks for the tag there @JoKer but im not allowed to comment in this thread as all serious CNC people laugh at the machine :)

it's 3d printed, user 3d printer parts, has zero rigidity, is slow as fuck, not mega accurate and runs on belts and skateboard wheels

but it's also $1000 from no machine to a working machine, and will do a full sheet, so i built that :)

LowRider2-CNC-Render-400x225.jpg

it's called the Lowrider2 CNC from V1 Engineering

I had a look at this, it's not a bad idea. I looked at these as well;

https://www.maslowcnc.com/

Which I cannot see being a terribly accurate way of doing it

.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...