ThePogs Homebrew CNC Router Build

ThePog

Cool, I found this thread that lathed up some wheels to ride on the extrusion

https://www.festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/router-sled-with-80-20/

but the above and below (?) multi roller style you linked to looks way better. In my head I was imagining almost identical to what you have built (box steel table with extrusion), but mounting at the extrusion ends rather than just shimmed to rest on top also seems like it'd be an improvement since then the table surface doesn't need to be mirror flat - at least for surfacing rigid slabs...

Most of the slabs I've cut are 3.2m x 0.6-0.9m wide, so it is a fair run lengthways... Do you think the extrusion would sag at that length (carrying 2kw router)?

IMG_20200127_152603.jpg.a1a26889f9e141942bcc749ba5c06fe9.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would definitely sag over that length, there are much deeper/stiffer extrusions but they start getting stupidly expensive.

I think you would need to support it along that length regardless. I don't really like the idea of shimming it flat but unless I get that whole table top machined flat there isn't much choice.

I only have 6 fixing points on each length, it shouldn't be that big a deal, we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Been chipping away at this of an evening, I always seem to not have exactly the right fasteners. ie last night I discovered the gantry rails took M5 screws not M6, but I only had M6 nuts for the T slot extrusion. It was only the head that didn't fit so I spent an hour on the lathe turning 30 or so down so they worked.

Getting there though.

Y685GYH.jpg

dAqL3UZ.jpg

All this runs nice and smooth.

I am just waiting for the long side rails to get the ends machined so I can butt them up a bit nicer and that can all go together.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

There is a fella on youtube with an open source router design. I think it's called indy cnc or something. Basic common sense design that I really like and he has provided parts lists etc. Excluding the laser cut parts and electronics I was surprised to add up 800$ worth of ali express ball screws and extrusion/slide things.

Is that pretty standard for a 600x600 machine?

3 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

There is a fella on youtube with an open source router design. I think it's called indy cnc or something. Basic common sense design that I really like and he has provided parts lists etc. Excluding the laser cut parts and electronics I was surprised to add up 800$ worth of ali express ball screws and extrusion/slide things.

Is that pretty standard for a 600x600 machine?

I wouldn't be surprised, my research says the hiwin is pretty good stuff and is half the price of what you can get in nz. There are no name China brands that are way cheaper again but it would be pretty risky.

6x 1.5m lengths of hiwin rail and 12 carriages set me back $1700 landed, so I imagine rails and ball screws of decent quality for a 600x600 machine would be $800 easy.

• Like 1

sweet! how many watts? i keep seeing some cheap ones pop up, but are only 750W and im hoping for a big one!
Shop vac works ace my little CNC, but keen to plumb all my things into one unit.

also, BIG fan of cyclones! oh my, my cheap china one does a 10/10 job! and stops you sucking big things through the impeller of your vacuum haha

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ned said:

sweet! how many watts? i keep seeing some cheap ones pop up, but are only 750W and im hoping for a big one!
Shop vac works ace my little CNC, but keen to plumb all my things into one unit.

also, BIG fan of cyclones! oh my, my cheap china one does a 10/10 job! and stops you sucking big things through the impeller of your vacuum haha

It's 1.5kw, should be well up to the job. I'm wondering if it can drive a vacuum table at the same time..

1 minute ago, Ned said:

nice! thats what im looking for as well, something that size!

Pretty sure those are pretty terrible for vac tables... Probably need proper vac pump to actually hold anything down...

Yea I figured these were about flow not head. I have a shop vac as well that will definitely do vac table duties but it would be nice if this could do it all.

• Thanks 1

Plugged some shit in and fired it up..

Didn't go hard cos it's not time yet so this is just jogging things in the setup program for LinuxCNC.

The cable lengths are all wrong, will need to sort that. Need cable trays quite badly too. X axis needs the belt tension backing off.

Still, pretty stoked with how promising that looks.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, KP_wag said:

Good shit on getting this thing moving, looking forward to seeing what it can do...

How are you setting up the dust collection, direct connection to the router or come in after to clean up the mess?

Somewhere up there ^ is a pic of a vac unit I bought, I will shroud the cutting head and suck it all away, I don't fancy cleaning up without it.

• Like 1

Thought I would get cheeky and get it to follow a path. Z axis is not hooked up as the cable to the stepper is too short and I was scared it might zoom off somewhere before I hit the e stop. Also I set it up for very small movements because I have no limit switches setup yet. Still, much excitement.

• Like 6