chasinthemirages '88 VL Royale

chasinthemirage

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger all progress on this thing so far, I've bought all the brake parts plus some filters and various gaskets but with moving into a flat I've had no time to do any actual work. Fingers crossed I don't get called out this weekend and can get something done.

wzmZF9Ph.jpg

I also got the interceptor/chaser/cop steelies that I bought today. I'm still on the hunt for some E34 alloys but these clear the turbo front brakes and don't need hubcentric rings so will roll these for awhile. Need a set of centre caps to complete them though.

fyuwka2h.jpg

Bck42ZFh.jpg

Couple of terrible photos but they fit, quite liking the silver on silver look currently.

Hey @Shakotom, do you know if I will be able to use VP rear disc brakes on the VL diff? I made a start on the brakes today and the hardlines are stuffed/cbf with reassembling drums. I found this on the tard, http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/holden/diffs-axles/auction-1397291003.htm Bendix website says the pads are the same for VN/VP, am I right in thinking I may be able to swap the backing plates, calipers etc on to my diff and then will just need to source a VN onwards hard brake cable?

• 2 weeks later...

I know mike and kelvin (brothers) that owned this before Brendon, probably the tidiest Royale out there at the moment, mike had it as a daily driver in the Waikato and eventually sold it to Kelvin in timaru, I think Kelvin did the A8 conversion sold it to Brendon and helped Brendon with a bit of work on it. Was offered it before it went on trademe  but passed it up as I wasn't in a position to buy, 

you can use any sedan solid diff up to VS on this but anything VN onwards will be up to 40mm wider. 

Love this car! 

• Like 2

The VL community is a small world eh! I still have Kelvin's speedo cable that I need to send back to Brendon haha. Was it just 30e/auto when Mike was daily driving it? I've bought a VP diff that I'm going to rob the brakes off, will still be open diff but I can live with that for the meantime.

There's been a distinct lack of progress on this thing recently, really struggling to find time/motivation.

tmD2iWKh.jpg

I got a spare radiator recored, it ended up being more expensive than I expected and I probably should have just gone alloy but I've dealt with the shop in the past and they've done a good job so I'm not too worried. 

While the radiator is out I've also removed the hoses and the water necks as I'd like to have these media blasted along with the scody looking intake manifold.

Sfsmzg7h.jpg

Hopefully they'll clean up okay as I haven't been able to find new replacements online, I am yet to contact Nissan though. 

Having the hoses off also meant that I could access the all important engine number, I must admit that I froffed a wee bit when I saw that the engine number starts with 05

UBQnPNRh.jpg

• Like 1

Pulled the intake manifold and fuel rail off last night.

5o9xSd7.jpg

tHFn5M5.jpg

Made sure I marked all the vacuum lines before I removed them as I don't fancy trying to suss out where they all go when it goes back together. Everything came apart okay once I found the last two bolts that were tucked away underneath.

RrIuUnM.jpg

The inlet manifold and coolant hardlines look pretty nasty so I will send them away and get them cleaned up. I'm running out of coin pretty quick but while I'm in there I will replace all the hoses too, may as well do it once and do it right.

yFG8XLN.jpg

Unfortunately the fuel pressure regulator has a kink in the pipe, I really want to keep everything factory looking so I will try and hide an aftermarket one somewhere out of sight. Not really sure what I'm looking for as far as decent quality aftermarket regulators?

ff8KeJh.jpg

I'll also replace the injector seals and hoses while I'm in there, hopefully someone will be able to match them. The diff I bought will hopefully arrive Friday, need to go back to BNT and see if I can exchange the shoes I bought for some new wheel bearings and brake pads. must admit I'm quite looking forward to fitting some new parts as opposed to pulling stuff apart and finding more I need to order!

• Like 2