2 Trailer Loads of Death... Mostly Gyro X build thread

Raizer

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Raizer said:

Could use one of these spray units made for quads on the rear carrier...

But I'm not too sure I want my business name/phone number on this once the exhaust etc is done lol!

just put your competitors one on there with one of those 'hows my driving' stickers

• Like 3

Nothing too exciting to report really :(

One little Aliexpress parcel came this AM
DZPE8hu.jpg
Looks the part for $12.

And started having a look at my bars, this is how they come from the factory with mounts for all the trim and optional windscreen etc etc
mWpO443.jpg

Bit of rough cutting later and there already starting to look a bit better
ZKAC46S.jpg

Spent a bit of time with a flap disc cleaning them up some more, when I realized I'd better check that they actually fit on the AF35 stem haha
NcGlOkB.jpg

And this should pretty much show my intentions with them
N9Jkbiz.jpg
Going to finally fire up my TIG tomorrow too, taking it and the bars down to a mates for a lesson.
Also tried the new carrier rack on, took a couple little tweaks and the threads drilled out of the factory holes but it fits nicely (took a gamble on a late model rack fitting the earliest model) , I need to draw up some light mounting brackets to get cut out on the waterjet tomorrow too.

• Like 4

Went and got a TIG lesson from a mate, told him I'd never used one before etc and expected to be zapping up some scrap.

I was wrong, he set up the welder and explained it all, put 2 tacks on my handle bars and then put me straight onto welding up my bars without so much as a test spot weld! :shock:

XNObxWV.jpg

szAzikM.jpg

89HghLd.jpg

Added a couple M6 nuts to the underside of the cross bar so I have somewhere to mount gauges from.

Not perfect, but a bit more grinding and a coat of paint will hide all sins lol

Oh yeah, another parcel arrived today...

L1GlLcb.jpg

We'll call that a 50cc bore kit for legality sakes...   ;)

Also CDI, small end bearing, a pile of cable end fittings, 3 sets of wrong clutch springs, stickers etc.

Think I'm going to build another engine rather than swap the kit onto the current one, need to talk to @Mr Vapour about getting one of the spare engine's cases blasted up all pretty I think.

• Like 9

Tapered the end of one of the mandrel bends so the ID is a hair bigger than the port of the Malossi cylinder.

H2koju2.jpg

Obviously went back and filled the gap I missed lol

Attacked the exhaust from @MopedNZ with a hacksaw, almost fucked it, dunno WTF China blend metal they used but it really didn't like the welder, had to drop the amperage way down to stop the edges melting away and it just wouldn't weld cleanly (likely user error but still)

LQV5GWj.jpg

E2GtnYl.jpg

Getting there, gives me plenty of room for improvement when/if I attempt MK2 :oops:

48lcs5L.jpg

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, DB8-TypeR said:

Love this project, so keen for a gyro but already have scooters that don't go that I don't need.

I've got the OG engine and swingarm here, could fit to one of your none runners and kill 2 birds with one stone?  :D

3 hours ago, Raizer said:

I've got the OG engine and swingarm here, could fit to one of your none runners and kill 2 birds with one stone?  :D

A 125cc pitbike engine would fit mine better. Plus gyro wouldnt fit through pedestrian gate into work which is main benefit of a scoot for a daily

The car name GYRO (gyroscope) is originally a compass, but G is great (great), Y is yours, R is recreational (entertainment), o is original (distinctive ) And the like. In other words, "I have a possibility that a fun way to use will be born one after another because it is a unique ride with excellent multipurpose (from work to leisure)" with unknown number x = meaning " I named it.

:)

http://www.honda.co.jp/news/1982/2821013.html

• Like 5

Ha! That's awesome.

Had another small package arrive from my friend in Osaka just before

CGqGhof.jpg

Got to love genuine parts!

Didn't realise when I ordered it that the (rather pricy) ignition didn't come with the mounting plate which is the main ignition part I actually need

T9cJp4F.jpg

Can get a new one for about $8, so I guess that means I'm going to have to order some more parts to make shipping economical... :tongue:

• Like 3

KsbF8yl.jpg

Looks like it's all going to clear just fine, will have to keep my cables routed nicely but should be mint as without having to cut and extend the stem tube.

Think I might get a step mount from Yahoo in the next package, don't think I can bring myself to bolt a nice new step onto this mess even if I welded in some new steel

5XCRgQD.jpg

Can get new genuine for $101.50, but they seem to be under $10 for good second hand ones on Yahoo auctions so yeah will pass on new lol

Other than a stroker crank and big carb :badgrin: I can't think of too much else I need to order to finish this thing now, need to make my mind up on what I am doing paint wise pretty quickly and get that under way!
Even if I stick with white the rear section etc needs to be repainted as it's pretty grotty and faded etc.

Oh and if @64vauxhall is keen to take it on the seat needs a retrim I think and once it's all together and on the road I will start on building the new engine...

• Like 4

Finally got around to pulling the rear fairing etc off today, found it was date coded Feb 1983 and from what I can find they started making the Gyro X in September 1982.
Also found the paint code, NH-111 "Cortina white", my new plastics are NH-138 "Shasta white" which is a lot less yellow.
Fairing had one tiny crack, managed to plastic weld the inside, touch of filler before paint and it'll be mint.

Removed the remains of the step mount
6BfeqpH.jpg

There is meant to be a battery mount and cable guides etc there!

Couple nudes

hHgVhEK.jpg

A652dsQ.jpg

My bud in Japan is sorting out a decent second hand step mount and some more new genuine parts, I took a bit more time checking the part numbers this time!!

On the bright side at least I've got smooth locks and nice new genuine keys. 

Hopefully will find the time tomorrow to take my plastics around a couple of local painters, going to get quotes on painting the lot in a metallic vs just the rear fairing, storage bin and ignition shroud in Shasta white.

• Like 9