Whats the diff?

doullama

Howdy y'all, trying to figure out what rear-end setup is on this commer, axle is a plain old borgwarner (btr to be specific) 9 bolt, was idly measuring the carb inlet and thought i'd check the wheel pcd's, was told the rear was ford so was a bit mystified to find a 5x108 stud pattern, so now i'm wondering whether its early holden with a disc conversion (though weren't they all banjo/salisbury?) or str8 out of a volvo perhaps? Mainly want to i.d the brakes to replace pads & rotors. Thing next to caliper is dead-end electrical doodad. Any pointers appreciated!

Then I can worry about the front, HQ subframe,  5x114.3 pcd  :wink:

mysterydiff2.jpg

mysterydiff1.jpg

they were bw78 apparently, along with coons, commy's etc. popular with rodders as they were only 1435mm wide. Will have to measure but suspect mines wider, and they had falcon stud pattern, though mine could well have been redrilled & have brakes from just about anything! Pretty neat cars! like a mega-avenger

has a stamping on the housing, can't find anything useful in relation however 

mysterydiff3.jpg

55 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Wouldn't a Centura have a bw35? 

Borg Warner 35 auto for sure (standard 3 speed fitted to just about everything Aussie and Pommie from Marina 1300 to Rovers, Valiants and Falcons). 

Diffs were numbered by the crownwheel diameter, Cortina 6 had a 7.5" (Model 75), and Falcon/Valiant had 7.8" hence 0578.

• Like 1

ah yes! the handbrake linkage looks spot on, redrilled falcon it must be. I had a geez under the neighbours warhorse EL which looked quite different, that bf looks more like it, probably explains electric doohickey/future stz etc.

edit: probably au, uses the au h/brake bracket

7 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

Borg Warner 35 auto for sure (standard 3 speed fitted to just about everything Aussie and Pommie from Marina 1300 to Rovers, Valiants and Falcons). 

Diffs were numbered by the crownwheel diameter, Cortina 6 had a 7.5" (Model 75), and Falcon/Valiant had 7.8" hence 0578.

That was a fucking auto correct. Stupid phones.

• Like 2

Bit late but yeah, that is a BW78 from out of a Falcon. It will have come out of either a wagon or a ute judging by its rear cover. The sedans had a different setup. You might be lucky and its got the 3.27:1 Ring and Pinion in it. Its not an AU because its running the early style bolt setup that holds the brake backing plate on to the housing. It will be 28 Spline and would have come out of something from the early to mid 90's at a guess. Narrowed a fair few of them, they are an ok diff.

• Like 2