Daves Scooter thing (The Meth Ped)

Muncie

Accidentally started it with out the return springs cue huge free rev on the stand and also discovered i can no longer kill it off the key.

sounded like it was pulling well over 6000rpm slapped my hand over the carb as it was still winding out which shut it down.

Must rip into wiring and put another means of killing it in.

Carb adapter must have a few leaks i think so will pull it to bits will give it a tickle with the mig and some paint then can focus on tuning it up, that will have to be away from home as it is way louder with more air and fuel going in will try E85 too.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone recognize what these forks are off was hoping for a vin number but none visible. 

Going to have to think a bit more about mounting these as i dont want much higher tall stand up scooters aren't a good thing.

Much better then i expected came with an axle i might be able to use as well.

15460445994747411328972623145746.jpg

Got this thing idling beautifully again after a patch of running on one cylinder had dropped a plug again a recurring problem they just die......

Anyway it wont rev past 2000rpm i suspect the plunger in the carb isnt rising hoping its just a blocked vacuum passage.  it wants to go but just dies, it sporadically clears for a second before dying off again. Will blow the carb out with compressor.

15461334396618337717327206631092.jpg

Carb stripped cleaned with a scouring pad inside and out the plunger now slips into the pot like its lined with teflon no unwanted tight spots. 

All the galleries cleaned out, fucked around with oils in the damper settled on WD40 to start with giving enough damping but not to much resistance for the engine to try lift...... hopefully its what it wants.

This side of the engine now has the mongrel factor the other side has with its exhaust chains and clean alloy. Carb looks sweet! Just needs a air filter of some description.

15461357441207066030021438479276.jpg

• Like 1

Cured it. needed 2 full turns on fuel idles a bit rougher than before its now wheelstand city and revs to the moon! Needs a progressive throttle to help things a bit but fuck me what an improvement!

Ive heard SU's had been modeled on the devil's anus before hey they work just few teething problems from sitting for so long the float bowl had clearly been filled with water too 20 or so years ago.

• Like 2

SU carbs are brilliant because they are so simple. In 36 years of BMC ownership the only issue I've had with them is the piston getting stuck either fully or partly down resulting in not starting in the former case and only running slowly in the latter. 

Loving the way this project just keeps developing by the way.

• Thanks 1

New tyre and rim with big diameter disc on gotta sort a caliper mount looks fairly easy.

Took it for a spin up road literally new tyre made it bloody squirmy my grumpy neighbor loves it so much hes started recording me every time i ride it...... 

20181231_171759.jpg

• Like 3

Nah he swears at everything that moves his wife kids my kids people walking they're dogs you name it hes been blind drunk by 10am since Christmas.

Caught him recording me in garage today 3 times creepy as fuck!

1 hour ago, johnnyfive said:

He's probably hoping to catch you bailing off on film this time

One time off was enough when i do give it berrys its burnouts. 

Took this for a blat along a Bush track today new tyre is frigging bliss the back is nice and planted probably could of been outrun by a mountain bike but it felt awesome got the hang of dirt squirting round corners.

Been a learning curve getting the hang of the throttle again clutch bites and shes off with a hint of wheelstand takes some getting used to. Managed to feather it a bit better after  around 40 minutes of riding could of been clutch a bit warmer to smoothing things out.

Sucked up some dust after a few donuts and ran a bit shit then came right.

Happy with the power again but cant wait to get some suspension under it body is feeling at bit battered.

• Like 1

Naturally when your a sucker for punishment and find to get the mixture right in the top end you get a rich idle, most would just change the needle in the carb but im impatient so have converted it to run on E85 Race fuel seeing as i fill up at Gull Hampton Downs its fairly convenient.

Im committed to riding this to work now as ive changed jobs and am on end of 3km private road which is the ideal opportunity as my car gets filthy driving in. 

Will fit my second 1.5l go-ped fuel tank i bought ages ago and purge it all out tomorrow and get the mixture dialed in ive got an oxy sensor spare will see if i can be bothered getting that high tech......

Im next to a runway too once the forks are on will maybe see what she can do over 1/8th mile.

images (29).jpeg

2 minutes ago, tortron said:

Sand the needle down at the full throttle position.

Yup have a spare needle in the other carb i have so will experiment. Think E85 will be close tune wise on the mixture its running now it blows smoke but isnt quite fouling plugs its running iridium plugs now as well seems to like those too.

What a dumb idea.... got there in end i wanted some decent rake and option of a seat so was worth it. Getting everything where it needed to be took fucking ages! 

The extensions are sleeved with steam pipe heavy as fuck but its solid as now.

20190107_135003.jpg

20190107_134959.jpg

• Like 1