Daves Scooter thing (The Meth Ped)

Muncie

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My little air filters arrived for the flatslide mikuni's  I bought December last year off EBay.

Might take a little bit of time to fit these as I can't ride it for a bit and need to rebuild and rejet them for E85 Might jam something else in the inlet tract yet too......

20180220_113714.jpg

1 hour ago, BlownCorona said:

it sure does sound like it needs more performance....

Just trying to make it a bit more tractable the factory carb goes from idle to full noise with about 10mm of throttle twist then the governer gets involved and makes it bunny hop.

Scooter is just a test mule I'll pull this motor off eventually and put it in something else it's just going to keep evolving for a bit longer till i decide what to do with it. Till then it's ready to rip at dromegedden.

Have had this thing running a bit it keeps dropping a cylinder and fouling the plug it's definitely not happy. Going to look a bit deeper and give the heads a tickle with the die grinder and redo the headers in bigger tube and depending on whether I can find a kit for these Mikuni's might just slap a 1 3/4 SU on there.

If budget allows a hot cam will go in too and some pick a part valve springs are needed to stop it valve bouncing at 3800rpm.

Screenshot_20180228-130501.jpg

Also picked up some wider handle bars the bmx one's don't work to well with the motorcycle brake levers and bind up the throttle if it's not left overhanging a bit.

they did prove a theory that I had though wider bars should Equal more control so happy to upgrade now.

Screenshot_20180228-133418.jpg

• Like 2

Been a man with a lot of free  time at present and also impatient I tried swapping the spark plug from sad cylinder to the good one. Fuck me..... the fault followed.

First thing I did when I got the engine was throw new oil plugs an filter at it. Chucked in an old plug I had at back of tool box BOOM twin cylinders again.

So my morning then got busy with modifying the carb linkages to be more progressive and no longer connected to the governer. 

This is what I've come up with governer has been given a spring to tug it's heart out on. The little plastic arm on the carby got lengthening using a perfectly shaped tab from the governer arm with a heavy as return spring. The extra cable I've left on for when I change to something bigger.

20180301_184843.jpg

Here it is doing it's thing

May of ridden it a little bit..... without the governer it's way better the throttle does what you tell it and needing more twist you can roll on and off the juice smoothly. It's grunty as fuck but really controllable now.

Stunt double needed.

• Like 3

Decided to try find the reason this wasn't charging the battery as it is equipped with a a 10 amp coil. 

Wiring is a bit of a birds nest but not to many dodgy connections, decided to ditch the Honda ignition box as it stuck out heaps and digs into your leg when riding it. 

More functional but a bit more ugly for now I'm not worried as it all works again and will tidy it up.

20180304_130126.jpg

20180304_130132.jpg

Above photo is the voltage regulator and the spade terminal has snapped off = no charge soldered on a new one she's good to go.

I found another wire that was floating around I found it's buddy plugged it back in and heard a click. The cold start solenoid on the carb that has never worked I've always had to crank it heaps.

Quick flick of the key started instantly I'm a happy man.

20180304_141545.jpg

• Like 2