UJ builds a cabin in them thar hills

Unclejake

Want some?  i have one left but can convert more.

Won't work on 12 volt BTW but you can use electroluminescent wire to simulate it for the look.

its something iv dreamed up, but will look silly in this modern indian designed mansion and should wait till I have a decrepit hut in the bush

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Im only a novice in the world of insulation installation technicians but already we are pulling it out of 10 year old homes to retrofit with actual insulation blanket as it likes to adsorb the rising damp from the ground then deteriorate plus it gives very little in the way of heat retainment (that R value thing).

I can understand it being used in your situation due to ease in getting it to site etc but dont expect it to keep your feet very warm on a cold south coast evening with a southerly rattling the windows.

I've often wondered what the best type of underfloor thing is the one to go for.

Is it different for each house?

They all do the same thing really but stapled in polyester based fluff would be my pick due to it not breaking down and going gross over time like pinkbatts/bradford gold etc, it gets fluffier and slowly expands with age keeping is R rating pretty close to what it left the factory with 

Understood. There'll be no removing this stuff if it falls to bits as there's no crawl space. The drooping reflective foil is only 100mm or so above the ground.

The roll was $65 and it seemed a better idea than fitting nothing.

• Like 4

I can just invisage UJ sitting out on the deck with a bitter cold southerly blowing and driving rain still cooking outside, while inside the potbelly is roaring away and the only evidence of the storm outside is a smattering of rain on the windows and the patter/roar of the rain on the roof. Bliss.

Semi on topic question. Jamie, do you deal with cellulose based insulation much? i see it used heaps in the states but all we seem to use here is that fibreglass stuff. Or is this the polyester you are talking about? They get it in big bundles and feed it into a shredder that then pumps it through a hose and they just pump the ceilings with it.

• Like 2

Sounds like old insulfluff/rockwool thats blown into the roof and not used anymore in NZ. Fibreglass/recycled glass(pinkbatts bradford earthwool) is still common in OZ/NZ due to building industry olde barry club stz. The polyester stuff is the new kid on the block it would seem and is slowly getting a foothold in the market/its made of 80% olde milk bottles so its good for the environment maaaaaaan

• Like 1

Sounds like old insulfluff/rockwool thats blown into the roof and not used anymore in NZ. Fibreglass/recycled glass(pinkbatts bradford earthwool) is still common in OZ/NZ due to building industry olde barry club stz. The polyester stuff is the new kid on the block it would seem and is slowly getting a foothold in the market/its made of 80% olde milk bottles so its good for the environment maaaaaaan

Last post on this i promise. 

Seems rockwool is some mineral based stuff (so not the cellulose) insufluf makes it but they also make polyester and fibreglass style stuff too. I might do more research. It seems cool to use it as its natural (wood based?) And you just pump it in. but that is a pretty big drawback too.

*edit*

Cellulose is mostly paper based and can be both pumped in and sold in batts. benefit of being safer then fibreglass , can only assume because it is paper based. Seems to be ok to wet apply it so moisture might not affect it?

I did thorough research, here is my list of sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_insulation_materials#Loose-fill_.28including_cellulose.29

Need Aerogel insulation to become mainstream. It was used on the space shuttle so must be legit.

Do you have to meet min r value for floor insulation as per building code or is this small enough to be exempt? If you can get some rigid polyester panels to stick in between your floor joists i would recommend it