Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

It rolled over 500,000ks on way home too!

16 minutes ago, Roman said:

Good to see it out there again.
Was meaning to come have a chat but I think  you were too busy just racing the hell out of it. 
Awesome day! 

Was a pretty full on day lost track of how many passes i ran in end car is a mess with timeslips.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Post race have put the car back road trim, left the race tune in and have kept it fed on Gull E10 as the economy and drivabilty are better than stock!

Next piece of puzzle came for my l67 long block I needed L36 heads (ecotec) as these don't have injectors in the head and my l67 ones are cracked I found a set up in Auckland on trademe that were up for ages and last minute put a bid on reserve got them for $50.

Plan is to give the ports a very minor tidy up little metal by looks that can come out anyway so just remove casting dags add new stem seals and give them a valve grind. 

Slowly going I reckon I need to financially recover from Christmas or sell something..... will see what happens. Can still fit intercooler and make pipes over break as that won't cost much or stop car from been drivable.

20231222_134654.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ever so slowly working on this im reluctant to take car off road to fit stuff as I'm enjoying driving it glad I've got the tape measure and dummy engine.

Anyway finished front portion of crossover pipe not going to join them up to manifold yet as in the car there is a conflict with the lower radiator pipe, and I need to get the plumbing at right height it is only a 90 degree bend and some straight so that's easy enough in car.

My down pipe conundrum.

I had wanted to build the whole exhaust in 3.5" but the size of the bends just didn't fit so now done front 30cm in 3" everything fits and looks right now.

I've fitted a reducer to hook the two different size of pipes together and need to order another 2x 3.5" v bands one for downpipe and one to go near diff as whole exhaust is currently 1 piece up to manifolds.

Trying to just cruise and do really nice work for this last part I can Tig again nicely, so long without doing much took a while to get my eyes and hands back working together again.

IMG_20240106_140503_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240106_140512_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 6

About 4 hours thrown at it today this will be about where I get to till I get more argon.

Wastegate plumbing back into downpipe all 3.5" from here back, left it here as I can add to it later and gives me clearance to do a few little bits once everything is in car so i clear shit like chassis rails and steering rack.

Going to definitely need some heat shields and right angle spark plug leads,  everywhere has 10-20mm of clearance though I reckon my bonnet will need some ventilation on passengers side!

IMG_20240109_124838_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240109_124853_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

If it helps any, you have a couple of manifold choices - theres a RWD Camaro/Firebird Manifold that has a forward facing throttle body. 

There's also a high rise FWD Plenum, but the upper plenum bolts to the lower manifold and can be flipped to rwd, from a Buick Lesabre 

Both are being used now by Stockcar guys over here since injection is now allowed..

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

I’ve got a complete 3.8 series 2 from a Camaro with gear bag been trying to sell for $600 if it’s any help. Has the funny front inlet manifold  

Got a photo ?

I'll keep it in mind for an option but I've just put a wastegate right where the inlet is there and tge plumbing where the coils are.

Might work better for someone converting a hilux or something. Cool to see how yanks set them up though.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while I very nearly got knocked on a WOF before drag day as my rear tyres are down a bit on tread some life left but not much.

I bought some 275 tyres to see if they might fit as I want meats out the back. Fluked these BMW X5 m Spec rims in 19x9 front and 19x10 rears off market place today for basically scrap value. They should look mint! Can also chuck a 255 up front as well.

Turbo stuff not on hold as such just doing my bit with small stuff like catch cans and power steering reservoir and radiator over flow relocations. 

Meanwhile its nice driving it.

IMG_20240206_191752_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 4

Yeah these are made by Ronal, ive always found a factory made set of rims so much more hardy with potholes and shit roads. And spokes that go to the edge although not as cool as a lip are stronger again.

• Like 1

Well I wanted 275's out back they fit around all the moving parts but poke out a lot I can get a bit of pull on guards to cover them. But might see if I can find  narrower rear arms as there surprisingly is heaps of room on inside.

Looks pretty hoony :-D

IMG_20240209_183307_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

If I can't figure out how to narrow the track out back I'd happily cobble some flares together to look like this using scumbag holden adventra parts.

Only need 15mm to get tread under car 25mm to cover rim.

275's are slightly stretched on these 10" rims a 315/30 would fit with flares

FB_IMG_1708495564319.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wonder if this would be good for dad would have room for the commodore and all your tools and probably all the weird things on wheels we own would have to price in a concete slab tho

https://www.tradetested.co.nz/p/sheds-carports/garages/double-garage-6-4m-x-7-2m-widespan-ironsand?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncWvBhD_ARIsAEb2HW83SC_Z9RI6QsQ0byPX8wQZcdb4YS_-TMgguuLG1WSD4NyT9n8mVwcaAiapEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thought I had crossover pipe all sorted so did wee trial fit today found it ends up straight into sway bar mount.

Fuck it re do it all. Turned out nice had a good few hours asphyxiating my self with argon loved every minute.

Engine is now sitting at the perfect angle I can see it in garage from dinner table.

IMG_20240317_165103_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240317_165123_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240317_165129_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3