Brake booster and lines under dash. Legal?

Mitchfromhillcrest

Looking into possible brake servo relocation as mine has a great big ugly linkage system in the bay.

DSC06060.JPG

And want to make this. 

Mounted under my dash.

overall20assy-1.jpgQuestion is though, the legality of having the booster,master cylinder and lines starting inside the car?

I want to keep boosted brakes and want to keep somewhat OEM parts (m/c booster etc) mainly for maintenance.

Shoot the idea down or shove me in the right direction.

I can make all the linkages at work so no stress on fab work.

Chhhhhhheeeeeeerrrrssss

• Like 1

You'll probably need tech approval for that but I've seen inboard brake lines etc. before.

For simplicity sake because you'll need a lot more of room for all that then can you delete the booster and run bigger master or more leverage? Or run a remote booster?

Perfectly fine to mount under the dash, however there are some strict rules on the construction regarding materials, welding, fastening etc etc. As well as the linkages.

As KK said, you'd want to talk to your certifier and send your proposed design for tech approval before you begin, so as not to waste all your time building a sweet decoration.

It's factory on a lot of forward control vans for a booster and master under the dash and may be adaptable making compliance a bit easier.

The Lite Aces even have the clutch master under there to, fells a bit odd pulling the cluster out to fix them but it works.

Brake, fuel and cooling lines in the cabin are also allowed which can make a smooth under belly feasible on an older car.

• Like 1

One reason to keep the boosted brakes is that it'll be a daily and my partner will need boosted as she's week as f .I was going to attempt to find something stock from another Vehicle and either rebuild or copy it. Since I'm young and own vws, I'm not liked among the cert guys in Hamilton lol. But will draw something up and at least get it looked at first. Will be researching "remote ones" which I have never seen so To google I go. Cheers boys

• Like 1

Stupid question.

Would it be possible to move the linkage to inboard and leave the master and booster where it is?

Another option may be a cable.

This would still use the stock master and booster in the normal position and making parts easier in the future.

It may still require a cert but I doubt anyone would notice.

Stupid question.

Would it be possible to move the linkage to inboard and leave the master and booster where it is?

Another option may be a cable, you could use a gear change or clutch cable?

This would still use the stock master and booster in the normal position and making parts easier in the future.

Stupid question.

Another option may be a cable, you could use a gear change or clutch cable?

I think you could do it with a morse typed cable as they are solid.

Personally i would look at after market race typed products as the are usually easy to retrofit

You'll probably need tech approval for that but I've seen inboard brake lines etc. before.

For simplicity sake because you'll need a lot more of room for all that then can you delete the booster and run bigger master or more leverage? Or run a remote booster?

A larger master cylinder would produce less pressure and require even more pedal effort, (the relationship between bore size and hydraulic pressure is an inverse one).

With the Mk 1 running a dual m/cyl you would need to run two hydrovacs (remote boosters) and it would be a big step backwards in pedal feel.

I like the idea of using an under the dash mastervac/master cylinder setup from a forward control van, the Hiace springs to mind?

I do know they are fussy as f. Hence why something from a Hiace or similar maybe used. Still researching though.

Relocating the whole assembly in to the inside might be do able? The original linkage pushes forward but if i could somehow spin it around i may be able to mount the booster reversed or at 90 degrees.

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_5

These guys make it. You could check out all their products and make your own.

Don't those e30 bmw's have a rod under the dash from the pedals on the right to the brake master on the left? One of my mates took off the 90deg part on the left side and put a charade booster onto the stock bmw master and had the rod pushing straight into it.

Passed a cert and has been on the road about 9 years

Just a quick question in regards to this;

Would it then be legal to run brake lines from the engine bay, through the firewall (with proper bulkhead fittings) and out to their respective wheel wells ie: brake line tuck? Have heard differing opinions, like I would have to run them inside covers/piping but haven't seen anything about it.

Just a quick question in regards to this;

Would it then be legal to run brake lines from the engine bay, through the firewall (with proper bulkhead fittings) and out to their respective wheel wells ie: brake line tuck? Have heard differing opinions, like I would have to run them inside covers/piping but haven't seen anything about it.

I've had cars certified with both brake and fuel lines running through the passenger compartment.