Any Merc R192 SL500 magicians in here?

Seedy Al

Hey beards

I have a 1992 merc SL500 here, that wont run.

It was running for a bit but pretty rough, owner gave it a blast out and it died on them and now wont run again.

Have good fuel pressure fuel up to the distribution block, but nothing coming out at the injector end

Any ideas on what I should be tackling here?

Im weary about pulling the block apart, as rebuild kits seem to be ex Ebay only (unless someone knows a place in nz to try?), however I have read they can be troublsim,  filling up with crap etc

so any wizards have any ideas?

thanks in advance

Allan

hi Al , 9 out of 10 times it is distributor caps & rotors they will be full of green shit , clean em out if it runs ok order new , startech in auckland is your best local option . fuel distributors and injectors are almost never an issue , pumps and relays sometimes are , and vac leaks and wiring looms occasionally too ........ you wait till you get asked to sort the roof !

has spark, so probably rules out crank angle sensor, and caps and rotors

Cracked the fuel lines to the injectors, fuck all coming out

Fuel pumps are working based on the amount of fuel pissing out everywhere before the distributor block

fuel leaks ? or when you loosen ? only ever trickles out of line to injector . pull caps off for a look cause they tend to crossfire on the shit that grows in them resulting in spark but not timed so wont go :-) how does the wiring look ? insulation falls off the wires on them !

has spark, so probably rules out crank angle sensor, and caps and rotors

Cracked the fuel lines to the injectors, fuck all coming out

Fuel pumps are working based on the amount of fuel pissing out everywhere before the distributor block

have you checked the codes? there is a connector that can do some flashing light code things on these, on my W124 it was by the fuse box in the area just behind the RH strut tower

http://www.mercedes.gen.in/WP35/mercedes-older-series-diagnostic-fault-code-reading-w124-r129-others/

Hi there, I would have a look at the fuel rail pressure regulator. This is vacuum controlled to some degree. A loss of vac at this point, split in a hose or more likley a faulty reg could cause you fuel delivery issues.

Reading the whole thread again you seem to have the k-jetronic mechanical injection system and I first assumed the later electronic type so you will not have a rail regulator. You need to focus at reasons for the distributor not doing its stuff. I will see what I can dig out on k-jetronic when back next week.

Regards Steve

ECU fault BOI

When you turn the key does the economy gauge move when cranking? If not or it's erratic that can be a sign of connector issues.

Also, have you got the fuel pressure gauge on it? You need the full working pressure from both pumps to get through the fuel distributor or it will just cycle back to tank. I have the new genuine pumps here going cheap ;)

Otherwise the ECM or the OVP relay play up, that's the one with the red fuse on top, if that fails there will be low voltage to the fuel pump.

It's very rare for things to go wrong with the fuel distributor, very. Also they hardly ever come apart without brute force and butchery.

Also check to make sure no one fiddled with the mixture adjustment screw, they are set on a factory jig and only a quarter turn is up to 40% out on HC readings, if someone tried to tune on low fuel pressure you're in for some fun....

Giz a yell if you ever need K-Jet advice.

so, i just got a chance to play with this this afternoon

pulled the caps and yes water and crap in there, cleaned the contact points for the leads in the caps the best i could, reassembled

still no go, so pulled the new plugs and they are a bit fuel covered on some but not all, really, and some where showing signs that they were firing

so cleaned them and wound it over with no plugs, got a bunch of crap out iof the right bank.

reassmbled, still no go.

however there is popping coming out the exhuast, and sometimes through the intake flappy thing

i guess this could signal that its cross firing, but im not overly keen spending money on new caps and rotors on a whim.

so thats where im at lol.