Something keeps killing Fuelpumps

NicT

Alright, this one perplexes even myself.

So i bought that Cefiro that was on here a few months back that wasnt running.

Dug around sorted some things out and, it kept popping fuel pump fuses.

So i figure pumps toast.

Get new gas, throw 15 litres at it, put a new pump in, run pump for a while to purge out the fuel lines, new gas comes out.

Hook it up, fires up no problem.

Park her up for another sunny day and go back to being a dad for a couple of weeks.

Get a spare moment one sunday and go to fire it up, and it will not start, check everything. Pull fuel line off turn car on, no gas comes out. Figure it must be fuse. Look at sure enough.

Replace fuse and it blows straight away. So rip out NEW pump and put it on the bench, give it some power and wont turn over. So i decide to dissect this one.

Apply power and its just jammed/wont turn, just starts smoking the contacts. However I can freely turn the motor over by hand.

The gas in the tank now smells kinda funny too, I think there might be something in the fuel that is vanishing the pumps.

Anyone had this before? Anything else I could be overlooking?

Want to get to the bottom of it before I pay another $100 and lunch another pump.

Thinking, syphen tank, run some ethanol through it, put new gas in with new pump.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Sugar in the fuel tank is something widely known to do to enemies - that kills the pumps/carbs/EFI/motor 

Is that a possibility?

Also water getting into the tank can wreak havoc on items. Cup or two of methylated spirits mixed with fuel will absorb the water and help clear that out

I kill a pump every year or so in my project car which doesn't move much. I think the stale fuel does them in. SO I'd suggest draining the tank and refilling with fresh juice.

Have had problems in the past with a kinked return line too - that wrecked another pump.

Did you replace the fuel filter?

Do you often run the car on empty?

Check the wiring and plugs to the pump. Does the wiring run under the back seat?

Just purchased car as a project so I know none of these things other than the wiring does not run under the back seat.

Sugar in the fuel tank is something widely known to do to enemies - that kills the pumps/carbs/EFI/motor 

Is that a possibility?

Also water getting into the tank can wreak havoc on items. Cup or two of methylated spirits mixed with fuel will absorb the water and help clear that out

Im thinking it was salt water left in the gas that was already in the tank as I have noticed that components have lightly corroded in the tank even though the are submerged in fuel. Particularly the outside of the new fuel pump.

It's looking like its water, but I thought id throw this question out there as someone else might have a different experience.

Cheers guys.

Is that a possibility?

Sugars no good, doesnt really mix well unless there's a bit of water content in the fuel. The sugar just tends to block the fuel rather than destroying motors (This is for EFI). For carbies etc yes sugar works as there tends to be little filtering in older sysytems but if you've installed a modern day fuel filter sugar probably wont really affect you much/all.

For any motor though, if you wan to ruin it, you add some bleach. Starts oxidising everything through the motor, fuel pump, lines, injectors, pistons, cylinders, head, exhaust. Essentially the motor rusts itself from the inside out or seizes.

If the fuel smells funny and you're killing pumps, just look at the health of the intake manifold etc as well. You might have been bleached.