megasquirt questions

BlownCorona

well you may have seen in my build thread that everything was going well with getting the trigger wheel/hall sensor made up and wasted spark setup installed. 

its all done now and as usual ive gone and quite sufficently confused myself with the settings required to read the trigger wheel at the right speed (cam speed) and output to the subaru coils (pretty sure i actually have this right thought) 

ive turned it over and it splutters and acts like poor timing, it hasnt been set yet so thats to be expected. but also the coil doesn't fire anywhere near as fast as id expect a wasted spark coil to fire so im pretty sure ive not got that setting right, 

any kick in the right directing would be awesome, im not turning up any solid advice on the internet but i think its got something to do with the '2nd trigger' box in igniton options / wheel decoder tab?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK you will need to set dual dizzy to yes as the ms1 assumes that your wheel is on the crank (so it thinks the motor is going half as fast as it actually is). Thats what I was saying about having a 24 tooth wheel with 2 mssing teeth 180 deg apart. You can set your trigger returns to 0's and use time based crank timing. Unless your absolutely sure of the wheel decoder settings. 

pretty sure i cooked my igniter since now i dont have spark what so ever. 

i noticed the igniter getting really hot, i fiddled with the dwell settings but never got it to stop doing that, tried to kill power before it got too hot, it was still doing that today even though no spark. 

had a look online and changed the 'spark inverted' to 'no' since i believe my coil fires when the signal goes to earth. igniter doesnt get hot anymore but still no spark. 

will go to pick a part after lunch and grab another igniter. 

does this sound like im on the right track?

on a related note. earlier this week i did the settings changes you suggested downtrail, and i was getting alot more spark events more in keeping with a wasted spark setup. so im hoping it was just the igniter setting causing mental timing and heat issues. 

have given up for the day. cant get anything other than a chuff or a huge backfire. 

got dads timing light, works on the daily, wont work on the corona, spark plug on earth terminal provides what looks like a healthy spark. 

igniter still gets warm. 

am unsure what the tooth logger is supposed to show but it seems kinda messy 

o4upys3j.gxh.jpg

im at quite a loss as to what im meant to do from here

hi mate couple of ideas ; is your sensor too close or too far away giving it a confused reading ? have you timed the motor so tdc lines gap (in rotor) and sensor ? sounds like a base timing issue , and just to prove I am not always helpful , points & condensor issues seem easyer to fix ! cheers Tim

too close can mean it reads the troughs as well as the peaks on the trigger wheel (can be an issue with abs) twisting while cranking is good if it is close , but it is worth finding tdc and lining up the trigger wheel gap and sensor , also just a thought as you are using distributor for sender you need to fire 4 times each rotation so wasted spark would be either zero and 180 (2 cyl at a time) or zero , 90 , 180 and 270 (4 at a time) is that all set in your base tune ? when you used points as a trigger that was 4 signals per disy rotation , earlier someone sugested doubling your input but depending on coils maybe quadrupling ? I could be overthinking this , computer based tuning is not somthing I have had much to do with . good luck