UJ builds a BBQ table

Unclejake

I built my fist ever table for a friend last year, and quite enjoyed it, so I thought I'd build an outdoor table for home. I dunno anything about tables, but we live by the sea and I don't like rusty screws, so can't trust anything store bought not to contain inferior fasteners...  off I went.

I am retarded BTW, but you probably all know that already.

First there was the timber. Some elm slabs and a ludicrous LVL post.

n5ffulsq.bcf.jpg

I borrowed a mate's rail saw to attack the elm slabs. It was pretty choice.

lp2ycm3i.yoy.jpg

• Like 2

A table needs leg, which is what the LVL was for, but I was dumb and ordered LVL so big I couldn't cut it with any of my saws properly so I chopped it up into bits and took it to a mate who has access to a big mother planer. I gave him a drawing which my dear friend Mathers helped me with, and here's a leg. 

I like it.

4rfk4bqp.ni5.jpg

After the legs was done it was time to cut up some rails and dummy assemble the table base. Ummm, yeah. It's pretty big. Ooops

l0heoqdq.wuw.jpg

• Like 6

Why didn't you dowel, dove-tail and glue? No fasteners required.

The whole thing is glued and screwed, and the frame is all rebated. I trust mechanical fastenings more than chemicals, and dove tails wouldn't have been useful.

will you be in the shed weds/tonight/thurs night this week?

Yup, but not until after 8pm./ I'll be screwing in screws, but if that's a PITA for you I can do it another time?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's been a therapeutic project

Top Job mate, looks lush AF. 

I think you mentioned it's going to be outside? What sort of coating do you plan for it? An oil or more of a varnish?

What are your thoughts on coating the faces of parts that mate up so as to protect from rot in those areas? Over the top? 

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but interested in your processes as I wouldn't mind a dabble into the wooden furniture world.

• Like 1

I think you mentioned it's going to be outside? What sort of coating do you plan for it? An oil or more of a varnish?

What are your thoughts on coating the faces of parts that mate up so as to protect from rot in those areas? Over the top? 

I think the smartest thing to do is to leave a 2 or 3mm gap between each of the top boards to allow water to fall through and not get trapped.

That had been my plan until I chose to fillet between the elm boards with redwood strips. I couldn't work out a way to have drainage gaps and still make it look good, so the new plan is to oil the top heavily with an oil based timber preservative, and repeat that every six months or so. The trick is finding an oil that has good UV properties as the oil I've been using for the last couple of years has been breaking down, turning black and is able to be scraped off with a fingernail after less than a year.

I'm a bit lucky as the air at home is heavily laden with salt - which is a timber preservative. Once this table settles a bit I expect to find water pooling on it somewhere, so I'll drill some discreet holes in that location to help it drain.

I haven't oiled the side edges of the boards as I've glued them on the bottom and both sides. An oil based polyurethane is the best barrier to water ingress, but it's a PITA to sand off when it starts to fail - which is why I'm going to use oil for the top