Low vacuum/rough idle issues

Beaver

Something else to check is the timing marks on the front pulley and timing tab. If something is not right you will be chasing. timing mark not in the right place on the pulley or the tab on the block is bent. Having the timing well retarded will give the problems you have. (I'm not that familiar with 4 banger Datsun motors and their timing marks, I did have this problem with a V8 Holden and it took a while to figure out) 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want and I get a chance you should bring it over to my work sat or something. Can check a few things. have a dail gauge if need be. Can re check you're timing and tappets. Even have a smoke machine to jam in your intake and check for leaks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a leak down tester if you want to try it. It's out of calibration (due to me being a Muppet and not reading the instructions) but reads wrong consistently (the needle got bent.... yeah. I know. Muppet)

I would have guessed PCV first, and plug leads next... although cam timing could indeed be the issue. I have a dial gauge on a magnetic stand if you want to take that too.

You may also want to check rotor phasing: If you have a spare dizzy cap and a timing light then drill a hole in the top of the rotor cap and have a look to see if the rotor is pointing at the plug lead terminal when the timing light fires.