Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

Orderd a aliexpress manifold, vtec oil feed kit and valve compressor tool. 

w6ffdgH.jpg

It doesn't look too shit, casting looks okay, bolt pattern even matches the head 

89i1nrF.jpeg

Valve spring Compressor works, they our the nice thread taper on the wrong side of the tool but it still functions 

QgQRL5W.jpeg

I've got a bunch of leftover gaskets etc from the turbo motor build, stem seals I'll use on this head. 

One keeper has escaped and is in the head so I'll fish that out later. 

Ordered rock autos C̶h̶e̶a̶p̶e̶s̶t̶ finest muffler and reso as the guy I called at the exhaust suppler was rude as fuck and it was double the price. 

Somehow a 2.5" catalyst converter appeared at work and noone claimed it so I took it. (2000 means I should keep it) and its free and will hopefully keep it quiet. My aim is to have close to oem vokume system as I'm old man spec 

• Like 4

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a play in the shed for a bit today, the 32nd keeper just fell out when I moved the head which was nice.

I had a look at the manifold to see if there was any loose bits that'd cause sadness if the motor injested them. 

This lump was weird but I figured shit casting or something 

hXee7eY.jpeg

Looks a bit shit on the inside 

XP7eQpZ.jpeg

Bbq280m.jpeg

Blocked the other end of the port off (idle control valve inlet) and blew through it and it was not air tight 

Shoved a light in the plenum and there's a gap. Dunno if casting shifted or they machined it wrong or just China qc

KkPw8IZ.jpeg

That grey looked a bit 'off'

Bbq280m.jpeg

I noticed a bit of a scratch and figured it was paint. So gave it a jizz with brakeclean 

WzP2NIn.jpeg

Have started communication with the seller and will see what they come back with 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

Had some barry time in the shed. 

Drilled/chamfered the oil sammich plate holes. Factory finish didn't leave me confident bits wouldn't fall out/off. The fitting didn't even have holes lined up so drilled that and stopped just short of the taper on the an end 

OM49z1l.jpeg

Same deal with the center fitting 

6IVN3oQ.jpeg

It blocks the holes somewhat so it'll get a trim to suit 

uiW3WXo.jpeg

Got a better photo of the manifold issue 

mKcjNrH.jpeg

RYoTI6f.jpeg

Tip of the file is where the hole is, it'll be major surgery to get there with a welder so I'll give it a go with some cold weld epoxy and really hope it sticks 

People seem to want moonbeams for a awd honda manual gearbag. 

Found one for not a horrible amount of money. (still more than the orthia cost) 

QeF6UlT.jpeg

It even came with wof/reg and a car around it 

XUQmaxg.jpeg

I figured all mounts and small stuff would be annoying to find so may as well have it all in one place. 

Hopefully can slam the auto into the crv with minimal effort and sell it on. I'll need to figure out the linkages as the autos are Colum shift and that stuff is welded/mounted to the column 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

More shed barrying. 

Parts run today was mostly successful. Went in for a seat base for the orthia but they were gone.

Grabbed a air temp sensor and a couple of idle speed motors and some water temp sensors as the ones in the head were cooked 

Also grabbed a "factory vtec solenoid pressure switch delete bolt" 

OFiqxWB.jpeg

Gave the solenoid a clean and fitted the sensors and bolt.

It'll tek hard azz gee now. 

SbkcvRT.jpeg

Grabbed some jb weld while I was out and pood up the hole

20efIB6.jpeg

7VLDOdq.jpeg

• Like 9

The neighborhood kids were screaming so I made some of my own happy noises with the grinder and flap wheel. 

dt130Qz.jpeg

It's not vtec officer.... 

Figured out which were the intake and exhaust stem seals and chucked the new ones in/on

9VPxpyq.jpeg

It occurs to me thst I probably should have lapped the valved in before doing that but I'll give them shit loads of oil and it'll be fine 

• Like 6

RwJmb4C.jpeg

Cheap reso is interesting looking. I'm used to looking at the adrenalinr stuff but that's a different price point. Looks better than the cheap m&h stuff 

YoVduaO.jpeg

The cherry bomb looks a bit shit, some of the baffle has been moved/bent. 

Hete is cheapest exhaust stuff I could buy SHTyGFG.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So it was nice quiet and comfortable... 

Made a 2.5" system for it tonight. Took way longer than expected. 

uwjTdHR.jpeg

VQyRx43.jpeg

QN17Z3i.jpeg

It was at that point I realised I didn't have enough bends so made some pie cuts

VZYRk74.jpeg

roUtJIi.jpeg

Hot metal glued it together 

EIqxvzo.jpeg

I could only fit two mufflers in it adtye driveshaft takes up a bunch of real estate. 

It's *just* too loud. Still quieter than most hondas with aftermarket exhausts. Zero rasp which is great. 

When I have more caring and time ill grind and paint it. 

• Like 5

There has been a intermettent knocking noise, I thought I had something in a tyre or possible a wheel bearing. 

Noticed both drivers side cv boots were gone on the back and the shaft moves around a bit. 

I'll steal the shaft off the crv eventually. 

On 12/03/2022 at 19:19, chris r said:

Hopefully can slam the auto into the crv with minimal effort and sell it on. I'll need to figure out the linkages as the autos are Colum shift and that stuff is welded/mounted to the column 

Surely you can buy another CRV with WOF/REG for the column :P 

Failing that they are common as fuck at Zebra/pickapart aren't they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GARDRB said:

Surely you can buy another CRV with WOF/REG for the column :P 

Failing that they are common as fuck at Zebra/pickapart aren't they?

Hah yeah! They're are millions in pap/zebra but I'm cheap and want to spend the least amount possible 

• 3 weeks later...

Got radiator, axles, rear drive shaft , intake and exhaust manifolds and most of the loom disconnected from the orthia. Didn't quite get the trans dropped but that can be tomorrow's problem 

6x7OMVL.jpeg

While packing up I noticed honda had made my life significantly easier. No need to bust out the holesaw 

1jDHv2s.jpeg

• Like 4