Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, shrike said:

Or an opportunity to get an electric power steering column to modify and fit? (Pack the factory steering rack with grease). 

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/toyota-electric-power-steering-eps-conversion/

Hmm could do, $70 for a bracket is less effort and less risk of needing a cert. 

Yes it's a trans swap but technically all 'oem' parts so I'll plead ignorance 

2 hours ago, chris r said:

Hmm could do, $70 for a bracket is less effort and less risk of needing a cert. 

Yes it's a trans swap but technically all 'oem' parts so I'll plead ignorance 

Not sure if anyone would notice a electric column tbh it's all pretty hidden :p 

but yeah fair point, did you get a new wof so its 6/12months future you problem?

29 minutes ago, shrike said:

Not sure if anyone would notice a electric column tbh it's all pretty hidden :p 

but yeah fair point, did you get a new wof so its 6/12months future you problem?

That's true. Wof is due in December so I've got time to wait/figure stuff out 

Crv is back in the healing bay 

5jcfbB1.jpeg

Nx1TbQJ.jpeg

Ratchet strap jack and making sure the torque converter stays where it needs to be. 

vaptILa.jpeg

Orthia mounts and brackets bolt up and fit which is good. Means I can find crv stuff on rock if I need to. 

Honda cv shaft barry time 

The 5 stud stuff has larger diameter outer CV's so 36mm nuts. Turns out the shafts are larger diameter too.

Orthia has 32mm outers so I can't just Wang the auto shafts into the crv. 

The Internet told me that the auto and manual shafts are the same. 

The diff spline count is the same but the length is different. The cv Cup is also heaps bigger on the 36mm shafts. 

Oeq3x6o.jpeg

I tried to swap the inner cv tripods across, that's when I found out the shafts are different sizes. 

I've got a set of shafts from the crx in the lockup, I'm hoping I can grab the inner cv cup and tripod off that and put it on the orthia shafts. 

I'll need to do a pick a part mission for a set of auto 36mm shafts 

• Like 2

Just now, shrike said:

Sorry if I missed it are you swapping box and motor from the crv complete or just taking the box?

Just swapping boxes across, manual for orthia and auto into crv so I can flick it off. 

I've pulled the orthia motor so I can throw some rings/bearings/gaskets at the bottom end when I put the vtec head on

• Like 2

Clusters on the healing bench

VAJaLn4.jpeg

fVx0ybG.jpeg

And all back together 

Yq7krZk.jpeg

Interestingly the early clusters have abs light in different location and a low fuel warning light and the Facelift clusters don't have a fuel light. 

Borrowed a 36mm socket so I didn't have to make a trip to the lockup

HuCd4bs.jpeg

• Like 5

Pick a part mission turned into a Misson. Both auto crvs had had the CV's pulled out and chucked on the ground. Lucky between the two crvs there I got both larger shafts. 

Both were missing the inner bearings (which are different to the orthia ones) and inner cv boots were well gone. 

I pulled a odyssey apart and luckily the bearings are the same and there was a inner boot that also fit. 

Grabbed a loom out of a crv too as that'll save me some time as plugs etc are different between orthia and crv. 

This is turning into a bit of a time sink but hopefully it'll be drivable/I can get it sold. It would probably have been less time/effort to part it out

TVff8br.jpeg

Hopefully they install themselves 

• Like 8

Cv time! 

T6xhJtJ.jpeg

Two left two are the auto 36mm crv axles. Right side is ef b series manual (hopefully I can swap the inners over or use the bearings) 

Top right is faulty accord axles i grabbed from the bin 

Then the auto/manual half shafts and auto orthia axle on the bottom 

ijGxZP6.jpeg

Got one auto crv axle assembled, pick a part mission inner cv along with the grease/boot off a accord axle. 

I grabbed the trans cooler I had floating around the lockup so that'll go into the crv as it has a manual rad 

• Like 4

Biscetti time! 

Orthia, manual crv and auto crv looms

WMZgyGS.jpeg

Partially stopped the orthia loom, I've started to pull out the auto stuff for the crv and I'll add in the reverse switch, vtec and re do the distributor plug to suit. 

Stripped the auto crv loom 

wUisuep.jpeg

I'll need to repin the crv harness to suit the orthia ecu. Crv is obd2a and orthia obd2b so they have different plugs and totally different pinouts. 

I started on the repinning last night and it was quicker than stripping the looms. It'll slow down when I need to transfer the wires acorss for the auto (4th plug which isn't populated on the diagrams) 

9HIZk43.jpeg

• Like 5

More spaghetti! 

Crv loom all repined to correct plugs. I added in the knock sensor wire. Will do the auto stuff tomorrow. I went to run the wire for the vtec solenoid and the orthia loom already has it populated and it's running to the dizzy plug. I'll have to look at the dizzy and see what's going there 

FB54aOo.jpeg

2gLutx7.jpeg

Qc/supervisor making sure I'm staying on task 

mIdVCC2.jpeg

More cluster schenanagins. Turns out the crv and orthia clusters are the same size just different fonts 

S3Qt5Sr.jpeg

Crv now has gear indication and a higher redline for more doorts 

rVLLWod.jpeg

If anyone wants the leftovers for digi speedo or something then let me know 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

mixed success today - Got the manual pedals in and found out the CRV clutch master pushrod is too short. diagrams have diffrent part numbers for the pushrods on crv/ orthia so it may be a length difference. I've got a couple of masters in the lockup so I'll go out and grab them next time I'm there

0g4T3Ro.jpg

That aliexpress manifold is the gift that keeps on giving - Fuel rail holes are slightly out, Nothing a file cant fix

l7jFuNR.jpg

and the stock throttle body throttle cable wheel thing fowls the body too, again I've got a spare throttle at the lockup or if that's the same I've got a grinder

dMf8pPG.jpg

• Like 8

Nearly the end of spaghetti time....

For the crv. Just need to test 4 wires into the orthia body loom, I suspect they are for the gear selection input or something 

aUS4sLa.jpeg

e9JT59J.jpeg

Last of the auto wiring de pinned pulled out of orthia loom and and back into the crv loom/plug

Crv loom done as far as what needs go in th engine bay. I'll plug stuff in before I tape it up. 

dYq85S5.jpeg

Orthia loom needs more work but that can wait for now

• Like 7