Rebuild an xflow

pusherman

Howdy,

Toying witht the idea of taking motor outofthe puscortand rebuilding it.

What would be the go to mods that can be done with junkyard/cheep/ parts And home tools? Ive heard datto pistons? What con rods? Dont say take it to a mechanic. Coz wheres the fun/ learning in paying some other chap to spanner

Its a 711m 1600 with gt head and twin dellortos.

• Like 1

Maybe we can build our engines together!

I suggest pull it apart and see what's in there, then decide what you wanna put back in. Bearings and rings are of course a go, but you can suss options of pistons and cams and stuff after you know if there's anything major that needs repair work.

if you have no money but lots of time, you can port your head after spending a bunch of time researching how you should do it. Otherwise 1300 pistons, oversize if you want. leave conrods and all other parts alone. Also get a big cam. make sure exhaust is reasonable size, like 2 inch. Lighter flywheel if you can afford

• Like 1

Couple if things you should make sure you have sorted.

Replace cam followers, they have a nasty habit of wearing out the hardening and taking your nice new cam with them.

Be aware most high lift cams will need the spring cut outs in the head made deeper or the valve springs will bind, bending the push rods or killing the cam and followers.

Other cheep mods, electronic points replacement, balance bottom end (bolt everything to the crank and get it done as a unit, Clutch presure plate, cam gear and front pully with all thier fasteners).

Double valve springs.

Magnetic oil filter and an oil cooler will keep the engine alive if you want to thrash it.

NEW WATER PUMP.

Adjustable cam gear,

Don't use cheep rings and bearings.

My first engine rebuild took almost 6 months mostly due all the reading and people I talked to about my build so be patent and take your time.

Invest in one of the Kent tuning books of borrow one, someone here on O/S will be able to help, get all the info you can regarding head mods as they will dictate how much horse power you can make, without flow you can't make power.

Good luck, it's a steep leaning curve to be sure but it's great fun.

One last thing. clean every thing including your tools, make sure you have all your assembly lube, gaskets, torque settings, thread lock, seals and sealers sorted before you start each stage.

^ mean advice.

When i put motor in i put new rings and big ends bearings. But proceded to loose a oil ring. Was very rushed im keen to do it again.

This time will be making sure everything is fresh clean replaced and tight. Its a forever car so time to build a like new engine

gotta rebuild mine as well, cracked piston on kaimais. gonna go for 1.3 pistons, bcf1 cam or 234(or something similar from auckland cams), double valve springs and still deciding on carb.. things ant cheap!

Anyone know what if any work needs to be done to the 1.3 pistons or can you just slap em onto your conrods and chuck em in?

I don't know about the Burton power out put of hp  guide . But from what I know its simple for a xflow head ported, headers and cam and a good jetted carb it will go pretty good for a fair price if you want to start spending $ bigger values 1300 pistons balanced lighted fly wheel and twin side's