quick 4age blacktop question

ta63-1uzze

na I haven't, what are the clearance ? I will check it tomorrow , guess it cant hurt to check that of the list anyway,  but it the way its all come about I don't think it would be that, it was absolutely fine on Saturday drove around and used it for a hour , then it didn't get used on Sunday . come Monday morning it just cranks and wont run.

if it was something like that I would think it would run like a bag of shit for a long time before finally getting so bad it wont run at all, and for it to have low compression across all 4 cylinders perfectly even too. none of it makes any sense at all.

will try another comp tester tomorrow with a fresh charged battery and see what I get.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ain't read much of this fred, but If it was running sweet, and then a few days later its stuffed, has to be electrical really? If you turn on the ignition, can you hear the fuel pump run then stop? I assume you have checked spark and fuel pressure?

Edit: don't mind me, I just read through,lololololols.

lol did everyone just have a shower and at the same time . . .deep in though, have the same thought pop into there heads!!!! , its like the vct valve is stuck open giving full oil pressure whilst cranking and advancing the inlet cam . 

Its got to be it . I will whip it of in the morning and take it to work give it a clean in the kerosene bath .

hahahaha now I think I can sleep tonight, it all sounds like the culprit. shit I should have though of that one myself. duh !!!

haha afeel like a twat saying this but I had thought vvt when you mentioned your compression ratios. Was waiting to see the out come of your timing marks. Toyota vvt are good at collecting crap in them.

Hope this is your problem. Suprised it hasnt brought up a code but if you cant get it running that probably won't help

right so cleaned out the vvt valve, it wasn't gunky or anything . replaced all the worn out ignition pasts I found. plugs ,cap, leads rotor, fuel filter air filter oil filter and oil. checked ignition timing . basically did a  Mack daddy service to get it into a respectable state again. resealed rocker cover and dissy o ring. cam belt , seals , water pump tensioner all look to be newly replaced.

cranked it over it was very hesitant to run, gave it about half throttle , started to pop and splutter. gave it more throttle got it running on 2 then 3 then on 4, dropped of the throttle and then it died. cranked it for a bit again, then half throttle. again it was shitty and stumbling, then it cleared and I held throttle for about a min at 2000 rpm. no smoke or anything out the back , eventually started to run well after it got some temperature into it .

so I really cant say what it was, I am confused at the low compression reading, perhaps it had bore wash from the cranking and not running and its washed the oil out of the rings?

but 3/4 of the compression ? it doesn't really add up. and why wouldn't it run in the first place? it wouldn't have had low compression to start with . . .  possibly the shitty ignition system wasn't strong enough to ignite, and the weak spark the fault the whole time perhaps . but it wasn't running badly or misfiring or doing anything to suggest that it was having trouble prier to it not starting .  

it couldn't have been the vvt as the computer earths out the solenoid allowing the oil to flow so its naturally closed to oil. so it couldn't have been held open. and the solenoid was clean and working well. so that rules that idea out  

so to sum it up, I found that the car has been a little neglected and the receipts for parts don't match up to the condition the parts were in . it was meant to have had a lot of things replaces and I cant see them wearing out in the time frame they were meant to be replaced in. they look like they haven't ever been changed. so to say the least you never know even if you have paper work if its actually been done.

sorry to disappoint and not actually find any tangible fault to help in the future for all the black top 4age guys , but all I can say is look after your car, I am guessing that if it had the service it was meant too have had none of this would have happened.

wallet = unhappy + return of doort  =   even /0

ahh maybe it got the same issue that SRs get do they have hydraulic lifters? the old SRs used to do that you would thrash them round then park them up and all the oil drains out of the lifters.

Go to start next morning no compression. Hold foot flat to the floor and crank over till it catches one cyl at a time and away they would go.

Usually if they were over due for a service

its bucket and shim so no lifters just cam on top so kind of direct to the valve. which is good nice and simple .  

na I couldn't make it do anything like that , I tried that the first time I had the cam belt off. but if it was that it retards the cam so wouldn't be able to start or idle with it locked on. so kind of rules its self out now that it is running , but yeah its all fine now, I drove it for a hour today and its all good.

it has me scratching my head to say the least. I was in a rush to get it done so I didn't fit parts in an order for diagnoses , I should have then I could have known what it was exactly but I was fighting with time to get it done so it made sense just to fit everything and not fuck around , but now I wish I had done one thing at a a time . but when you are not sure if any of what you are doing is going to fix the car you need to drive asap you just rush everything to get it done .

Check your valve clearances. From memory they are .25 and .30mm (someone should correct me if I'm wrong). have had clearances issues before with blacktops. Also I would check head bolts as Dave mentioned.

Although they have many valves there's nothing about blacktops that is rocket science (except for porting heads Fuck that shit) the compression has to be going somewhere. if above doesn't find anything try a leak down test with your compression tester fitting onto a compressor.