cortina 4 link ideas.

d.p.n.s

morning all

im wanting to update the rear end on a mk2 Cortina Im building i am also wanting to keep the rear seat and not cut up the shell.

I was thinking of a set up like this.

pq0IyL.jpg

I was thinking of taking the lower arms to the leaf spring mounts and the upper arms from the diff head out to the inside of the chassis rails.

and also make a whatts link and run coilover shocks.

all input is welcome

cheers

I'm in the process of building such a system to bag my Mercury - triangulated 4-link. You don't need a watts link (it would possibly be a bad idea to add one) as the angled links handle the side-to-side location.

I have used the front leaf spring mounts, so the lower arms are about 620mm center to center which should be long enough. This is a big car though, with long springs. They are set up to be about level at the expected ride height. Upper links are angled down at the front at ride height for packaging reasons (clearing the stock shock mounts) but I think this will be OK.

There are rules in the HCTM about link sizing and so forth. I have used rubber bushes from the Mount Shop, just picked out something that I hoped will work. I have made my own adjustable ends using some all-thread (1" though) because the link size is big for a heavy car. You will probably be able to use something off-the-shelf for a Cortina.

keep the top links parallel  if you are going to run a watts or panhard.   best only do a triangulated setup  for packaging, ie cant fit a panhard or  watts link.

also be careful with the angles of the arms. they don't need to be out much to effect handling or straight line grip. having a range of holes at one end or the other for some adjustment,  is a good  idea.  there was some decent info online about angles etc last time i looked

• Like 1

all input is welcome

I'll use that as permission to ask why you want to go to so much effort for only a mild advantage (if any at all), assuming it's a road car.

The Hotchkiss rear end on those things is pretty good if your bushes are OK, and given that the car is so light (~900kgs), and that the chances of making everything worse with a home built four link is so high, I'd be inclined to freshen up the bushes with decent rubber ones, fit some good shocks, lower it to your preferred look, and then spend the $1k and two months you saved on drinking beer in the shade.

/I know nothing about your car.

• Like 3

I'll use that as permission to ask why you want to go to so much effort for only a mild advantage (if any at all), assuming it's a road car.The Hotchkiss rear end on those things is pretty good if your bushes are OK, and given that the car is so light (~900kgs), and that the chances of making everything worse with a home built four link is so high, I'd be inclined to freshen up the bushes with decent rubber ones, fit some good shocks, lower it to your preferred look, and then spend the $1k and two months you saved on drinking beer in the shade./I know nothing about your car.

^ this is all true and what I like to call option B...

• 8 years later...
On 27/01/2015 at 09:01, d.p.n.s said:

morning all

im wanting to update the rear end on a mk2 Cortina Im building i am also wanting to keep the rear seat and not cut up the shell.

I was thinking of a set up like this.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/661/pq0IyL.jpg

I was thinking of taking the lower arms to the leaf spring mounts and the upper arms from the diff head out to the inside of the chassis rails.

and also make a whatts link and run coilover shocks.

all input is welcome

cheers

Hi, 

I see this was 8 years ago. Did you go through with this conversion?

• 2 weeks later...