Chch Mechanic :)

skotz

Hey Buddy,

Thanks for your post! It's a 202 with a 3 on the tree! Mostly factory standard apart from the wheels, suspension and paint. Things like a Carby tune, horn not working just little things... I'm not very mechanically minded so learning how to do things on the way...

Will post a photo soon! Thanks!

Very tidy HQ you have there!

Looks great on the Tridens and in blue.

I wish I was in Christchurch because then I'd come over and talk you through fixing the niggly bits and pieces :-D

My advice is to buy an HQ manual like so:

gregory_s_holden_hq-hj_service_and_repai

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-827398310.htm

They're usually about $10-$20 on Trademe. Infact the one in the link is on Trademe for $20.

Even if you aren't prepared to start pulling things apart yourself just yet, the manual will give you a better understanding of how things work and may even allow you to carry out some simple fault-finding and repairs.

HQs are pretty much a part of NZ history and I'm sure most older mechanics that you ask for help will be more than happy to sort things out for you for next to nothing, just for the nostalgia of getting to work on one of them after so many years.

Assuming the carburettor on your car is a Stomberg 1bbl similar to this:

DSCF132323.JPG

There are some relatively cheap carb kits available (less than $80) which come with rebuilding instructions.

This coupled with a manual is probably enough to allow you to re-kit the carb. They're fairly basic and don't have many parts either.

Regardless, I hope we'll see more of your car. Start a build thread if you get the chance.

Very tidy HQ you have there!

Looks great on the Tridens and in blue.

I wish I was in Christchurch because then I'd come over and talk you through fixing the niggly bits and pieces :-D

My advice is to buy an HQ manual like so:

gregory_s_holden_hq-hj_service_and_repai

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-827398310.htm

They're usually about $10-$20 on Trademe. Infact the one in the link is on Trademe for $20.

Even if you aren't prepared to start pulling things apart yourself just yet, the manual will give you a better understanding of how things work and may even allow you to carry out some simple fault-finding and repairs.

HQs are pretty much a part of NZ history and I'm sure most older mechanics that you ask for help will be more than happy to sort things out for you for next to nothing, just for the nostalgia of getting to work on one of them after so many years.

Assuming the carburettor on your car is a Stomberg 1bbl similar to this:

DSCF132323.JPG

There are some relatively cheap carb kits available (less than $80) which come with rebuilding instructions.

This coupled with a manual is probably enough to allow you to re-kit the carb. They're fairly basic and don't have many parts either.

Regardless, I hope we'll see more of your car. Start a build thread if you get the chance.

Thanks mate! Yeah I bought a manual just like the one pictured the other day and yes its a single stromberg! To be completely honest I'm thinking of selling the old girl as I miss having a chevy :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hey does anyone have a fuel pressure gauge, I would like to check what pressure it's running as the carb is flooding and the Needle and seat is allowing fuel in even after the float is being pushed hard against it.

I notice it is running a late model pump without the glass bowl. Does anyone know if they run higher pressure?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey does anyone have a fuel pressure gauge, I would like to check what pressure it's running as the carb is flooding and the Needle and seat is allowing fuel in even after the float is being pushed hard against it.

I notice it is running a late model pump without the glass bowl. Does anyone know if they run higher pressure?

Hi,

I have a gauge in St Albans

Steve

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a gauge in St Albans

Steve

Hey Steve,

EFI_LC and I managed to solve the problem! The float needed adjusting, replaced the needle and seat and needed a good tune! It's running like a true trooper at the moment! :)

Hey Steve,

EFI_LC and I managed to solve the problem! The float needed adjusting, replaced the needle and seat and needed a good tune! It's running like a true trooper at the moment! :)

Thats good! I like those old Holdens, I'm a chev guy at heart. 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1