Deadspot in rev range

OSM Garage

Hey guys

Pick at your collective brain if I may.

I have noticed with my car (Sigma Wagon) that there is a flat spot between 3,000 and (roughly) 4,200rpm.

It feels like as soon as it gets to 3,000 the rate of acceleration dies down and once it gets to (roughly) 4,200rpm its like vacuum secondaries open up and we're off again.

The setup is almost entirely stock. Only aftermarket bits used are exhaust manifold, fuel pump (Bosch 910) and the factory fpr has been moved to a different location.

IMG_4560_zps1ee9f1eb.jpg

Do we think that the issue im experiencing is fuel related?

Cheers

That's not how vacuum advance really works, if you are at WOT there should be no vacuum in the manifold hence no vacuum advance. Its made to apply extra advance under cruise for a better burn/economy.

Depends where the vacuum is drawn from. On a 4K the vacuum is drawn from above the throttle valve so there is only vacuum advance when the throttle is open.

That doesn't have any relevance to what I said, the throttle plate is still open at cruise speeds and vacuum advance is applied. Ports for vacuum advance that get blocked by the throttle plate at idle are just to stop the extra timing being added in at idle, some factory systems do this some do not. Like I said there is low/no manifold vacuum at WOT so no advance is added by the vacuum canister under this condition.

• Like 1

That's not how vacuum advance really works, if you are at WOT there should be no vacuum in the manifold hence no vacuum advance. Its made to apply extra advance under cruise for a better burn/economy.

My bad. Had similar problem in starion which was vac advance. Also assumed entirely stock meant it was original engine. Might just go and peruse the pics and vids instead of trying to hang out in tech.

Wasn't trying to be a dick about it man! Hang around.

Vacuum advance gets blamed for lots of things as people don't know what it's doing. Worse thing they do when they fail is create a vacuum leak pretty much.

Anyway back to this Mitsi things problem.

[At the risk of being laughed out of here] Have you hooked it into a diagnostics machine? That could possibly tell you something of importance.

Also, if the Mitsubishi manuals are anything like the Nissan manuals it will have a big list of detectable and nondetectable faults which you could go through and check.

No, I haven't plugged it up to check.

Ive put a gauge in the fuel line and seems to be running at the right pressures

48-50psi with the vacuum hose disconnected

40psi with the vacuum hose connected

There is about 500mm of hose between the fuel rail and the FPR. Obviously the FPR would be better directly off the fuel rail (as per factory). Could this be a possible issue?

Should I be watching what the fuel pressure does at WOT?