Dadams 73 ke26 Discussion

dadams

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a fairly high tolerance for cars that drive/ride shit but this really is over the top... We will see, but unfortunately I'm not liking my chances... 

I  know your pain; my ke26 was that low when I bought it. I couldn't drive it down my street because of the earthquake damage. It drove like absolute shit on reset leaves and 2 inch lowering blocks and adjustable coilovers at the front. I had people in the back seat complain their heads kept hitting the roof if I drove over a peeble.

I hit a pothole on fitzgerald ave driving 55km/h and the impact was so bad it blew all bulbs in the dashboard, which blew most my fuses and I ripped the lowering blocks out in a fit of rage the same night. It completely knocked out my electrics and i had to drive home with no lights in the dark taking back streets to avoid cops.

I'll slam it again one day when they fix the roads, but that could be years away. It's ironic because my job is helping plan and design new roads for the richer side of town.

• Like 1

Unfortunately after another test drive around the block I made the unwise decision to raise it back up.. Cant say I'm to pleased about this but the 172km trip to wagnats would just be unbearable.. 

Have spent many a year rolling around in shit heaps with cuttys and what not and I'm sure as shit that I don't recall them ever being this bad! Was way to afraid to attempt hitting the open road limit, 50km was bad enough... So it looks like I won't be winning the 'how is that so slammed' award this year (dammit!)

On a positive note I did learn that I have no interference issues at that height (other than front bump stops) so looks like I'll have to start saving to build some adjustables. Seems there is a few options out there, but most info I have found has be in regards to strut swaps, ae85/86 seems the best option but pretty rare these days so I'm more likely going to stick with ke20 sturts, with aw11 inserts. Also want to incorporate a better braking system while at it, have seen a little info to do with using a u13 bluebird front rotor and sw20 mr2 calipers, as far as I can tell other that a little machining of the hub, hubcentric rings and caliper brackets its not to much work.. However we will see...

If anybody has any other ideas for a cheap(ish) coil-over and brake upgrade let me know, Its not something I intend of having sorted anytime soon but I do want to start collecting parts...