Fresh's 1991 VG45 Toyota Century - Discussion

Fresh

1 ten inch will just not do. With that boot you need at least four 15s to thump dre through cars driving the other way!

The boot wont be very big once a tank and compressor ends up in there.

Super slick. Any idea what the fibre is for?

It appears to be a link between each door and what I guess is a central control unit. There is a control unit in each door that has wires going to the motors in the door and the fibre runs into that unit. I did some reading and it looks like the Century was one of the only cars ever to use Fibre.

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is pretty strange. Only reason I can think of is that its immune to electrical interference but then I dont see that being a big enough reason. It was probably just experimenting with new tech. Given that it is the Flagship model perhaps that is what they did. I know that Toyota developed a Gas Turbine version of the Century as a prototype.

I've only ever seen fibre optics in a car once. It was some old euro piece of shit, maybe a jag or something? But it was purely for lighting for instruments etc.

There was one or two central bulbs that shined down a plastic straw looking thing and split off like 10 ways and snaked off all over the car to light up all the displays and switches n shizz. It's a good way to save on little bulbs

• Like 1

Yeah my Mark II has the whole light fibre thing going on for the fender lights on the guards. Just steals light from the back of the park light housing.

This is a bit different as it is using it for a data feed. I have no idea why as there are still copper wires fucking everywhere!

• 1 month later...

Put one of the Chinese Android headunits in and its pretty sweet, does a few annoying things with the iPod but sounds OK and has some cool features.

Replaced all the rooted door speakers with SoundStream 4inch components and everything sounds much better. Still a lack of bass at the moment, really needs a sub.

As far as ownership goes its sitting in a mates garage not really doing a hell of a lot. Have someone lined up to start tidying the panels on it. Also have a replacement window reg that just arrived from Japan that needs to go in.

Its at that point where I am undecided if i should start pouring money into it doing mods, ie airbags, or if I should sell it or what.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...