Danger's 1984 Ironhead Roadster XLS

danger

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This bike will no doubt be covered in a mix of imperial and metric when finished due to ease of supply.

Got the engine mounts finished which involved making a new seat post. So sick of lifting that motor in and out. Its a really tight fit. Not looking forward to getting it in the without scratching the final paint.

Put the frame on the ground with the wheels and forks on. The whole thing is super long and low. Still not sure about the rake but it really is a chopper, not just a bobber so could work.

Next up I'll be making the top motor mount and starting on an oil tank. Still haven't ordered new fork tubes for the front end.

No pics cause garage lighting is crap

Sounds awesome mate ! Yeah I just out two old bike tires on the floor and layed motor over in them then lowered the frame over and half bolted in then lifted upright .

Also running a mixture of fasteners as I fucking hate imperial .

How much over are ya going with forks? What size front wheel ?

Can't wait till your shed lighting is better !!

Wanna see some photos

Going with 19"/16" wheels could really go a 21" on the front though.

I welded a guide into the steering neck tonight so I can mock up the front end properly and shimmy the fork tubes down through the bottom tree to work out the tube length I'm after. Means I should be able to let it sit on its own weight so I can find where to mount the stand as well

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the POS sitting with its current weight on the front forks mocked up at 4" over. Man I need a camera.

uatcogrd.tka.jpg

Here's how far the motor is offset to the LHS, not sure if I should be worried by this? I staged the mounts as per the offset on the original frame.

zxl0trz0.hrf.jpg

• Like 2

Gonna build an oil tank. Just a round one but with a recess to fit around the back of the centrepost a little. 

Internet says I need to run 3 quarts of oil minimum (3.2L)

Thinking I'll go with 250mm long 150mm dia pipe with the filler on top (under the seat). Means I can run it 3/4 full.  Anything else I need to be aware of?

Looks like the offset is right. If the top end was off the center of your flywheels should be in line with the frame center. The primary sticking way out just makes them look off. Also once you lower them it makes it hard to turn to the left.

It is funny because back in the States our Hoda chops all had Standard ( Imperial) hardware with just little bits of metric bolts reused from the stock bike.

One other tip if you didn't figure it in already is to order your fork tubes 1" to 2" longer then they are when it sits where you want it because once you add your weight and hitting a bump it keeps you from smashing the frame rails.

It is nice to Chops being made here. I really thought that was somthing that just was not done here at all.

• Like 1

I didn't figure it in on this bike and the first time I rode it into a Gas Station at speed the front wheel rode in fine but then the frame rails smashed into the sidewalk.cycles136.jpg

The sad part is the next bike I built i made shorter but still did not figure in the rider weight and hitting a bump so I smashed it to going into a gas station.

100_0209.jpg

100_0206.jpg

• Like 2

I figured I shouldn't because this is all old stuff and I didn't want to waste space. I do have one on my Matchless but since I work on motorcycles all day the last thing I want to do is work on them when I get home so I have yet done enough to update it.