Artyones carry based sports car project

flyingbrick

I was wondering Uterus whether I might add some of my artwork just to widen the approach. I was even thinking last night that the shed I'll building will only have one regular sized door because most galleries often only have that and so any artworks that are large depend on being made/broken down to fit through that door. So a car built in the shed would have to be pulled apart and then all the bits fit through the doorway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG-VsFgorAw

This is a video of me wandering about my kingdom about two months ago at the height of it's untidyness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFLtNeInnw and this is part two of the above.

10325631_10152394363384288_4024164958368

Heres an early nineties photo. I taught a bunch of lads who were setting up a recording studio in Newton Gulley, in the old churchy building out front of Ace towing, how to weld and as a consequence convinced them, against their better judgement, that we needed an outlet for the prodigious amount of artwork that was then being created. So we got a council owned shop in Bledisloe lane, behind the old Civic and preceded to spend a few weeks building our shop.

I'm at the far left and in the middle is Shane and below Shane is a brick wall we all made part of but happened to get us into trouble with the council because the little reinforcing feet were sticking out into the walking area (and then just as I was typing this I look down and there's a fantail flying around in my house, so I just pointed him towards the door... and he flew out, musta flown in through the hole in the window where a few years ago a beer bottle came flying from the bridge over the estuary where the punky kids do their drinking on hot summer nights) walking area, right, we just scoffed at them, don't be silly, and as we were arguing with this bureaucrat one of the guys got on the phone, a couple of them did midnight to 6 shows on bfm, and we ended up live on the radio... which freaked this poor council pen pusher... poor chap.

Then the council came back in force a bit later but we were ready as I'd already done a few nightline spots so we ended up with a camera crew at the same time! Then we were on TV that night! After we finished the shop we had a super wild drunken party there on the street and then somehow all of us got bored with the idea of having a shop and stopped paying rent but for some reason the council just left us alone and the shop sat ready for use with a couple of artworks in there for about 8 months... and we'd go down and open it for about two hours every coupla weeks.

Before that I'd gotten another TV spot for another shop and that'd gotten us some work for crowded house doing props for a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjNRz-ZoBM

By the time we'd done the CH vid then the Molten TV spot we'd become a bit famous for our exploits so even when other people built shops or cafes people thought we were responsible so we caught a wave of commissioned work which meant we didn't have time to make work for our own shop.

One of my favourites was a biggy in Mission bay for some Turks refurbishing a restaurant which was part of the old theatre. The whole thing was without permissions from council and under the table, and one of the stories (told by a giver of folding) was it was funded by restaurant furniture imported from South Africa that were just the front for bringing in Gold hidden in the wood... (lots of lovely shifty goin' on) and I built a huge fireplace outta bricks and stuff that was cantilevered out over the footpath and had to be big and glorious as a fire but have 90% of the heat go up the flue, and a couple of really tall inset walls from old brick which alluded to the middle Eastern theme... and at the last minute a council engineer wandered onto the site and gotta look at all this illegal work... but he was chuffed!

He was this lovely old chap who told me it was all a bit naughty and all that but at the same time he said all my engineering was spot on. Especially the fire place, which would weighed a few tons at least, but he said I was just on the brink of being too heavy for the cantilever and that as guesswork it was excellent. The big tall brick walls that were almost floating also were enjoyable for him, the engineer, too and all he wanted added were a rib or two of ferro cement just in case an earthquake hit. I had to walk off the job though as the council were holding me responsible if I stayed and the owners wanted me to disregard that... so I walked, the fun was over anyways. Eventually I found out all the stuff I'd done passed muster.

As for the 70's theres a film comin' out soon about skateboardin' way back then and I'm in that a wee bit. No More Heroes is what it's called and theres some previews here and there.

So artwork's really neat but it's so static I'm kinda over it and even when I was doin' it I loved the idea of making art cars, motorcycles and scooters but never really had the time and cash to properly apply myself but it seems that now is the right time... Even in the days since doin' the swap with the neighbour the serendipity has turned on... things are falling into place real nice.

• Like 1

I love this ^ and your videos

You remind me a lot of my wifes dad - hes older but similar vein - there's a section on him in a big book about the history of drugs in NZ - grew pioneering weed or something.  It was his factory in Wellington that they stripped the mini down in goodbye pork pie - dodgy wee factory it was - he was mates with Bruno.  He wrote an underground print publication called cock - back when printing presses had to be registered - he raised his right arm middle finger to that rule. Took them a long time to find him.

Please keep up the good work

• 1 month later...

Would this type of thing work for you? It's what I'm planning on using in my track car for similar reasons I think. The offset mounting position might not be ideal, but it might actually make it easier too...?

img_1707063269.jpg

These can be found at any pick a part on the lower arm of Holden Vectra B's (96-03) and Astras (similar years), plus probably other GM stuff. Only problem is they have pressed pins holding them in which would need to be cut/drilled out, or take the entire lower arm from the car.

Cheers for that Mikuni... I like. That three bolt mounting is actually quite neat as each A arm side could have a slot in it's end that fixed each outer hole and then some plate between them to fix the centre and the upper plate also mounting the links to springs and stuff. Very simple straight forward and to the point. Duly noted.

• 3 months later...

4 months... Wow, what have I been doing? Not much on the mechanical front anyways. I suppose it's because it's been the Inorganic season and I've been out and about collecting loads of wood, can't get steel or metal stuff anymore so I've been pulling apart old dressers, tables and cabinets getting all that lovely seasoned Rimu and Oak... which, of course has filled up all my spare space and made me realise I need more... space.

Plus I've just done a bunch of building on the houses and now that's underway I'm thinking seriously about a new covered space so I can open up my old spaces to actually get these vehicles together. The other thing is I found a chap who helps kids and has alot of resources and he's offered me a space to build the motorcycles in return for teaching a little sculpture for a few hours a week but nothing happened though recently I happened into visiting another old chap who is retired and has a real big well stocked garage and does up Alvis's and I put to him helping out kids and he was keen so I got the old biker to meet the old manager and the two hit it off. Next week I have some appointments with Heads of Departments at the local tech Automotive and ARt and design as what I'm trying to do now is bring all these resources together to create something which will help us all.

So I haven't disappeared because I let it all go but that I reckon it can all be made much bigger and more advantageous to a whole bunch of people so I've been, on one hand getting my own untidy world together and more ordered so I can do this stuff properly, and and the other looking toward creating a much bigger space to do stuff with lots of other people which looks towards creating a yearly event of over the top art cars and motorcycles which could be a parade type thing to help get people interested in the community I live in.

• Like 1

Hey SOHC, I did that a few years back as in roofing between all the buildings but the possums saw it as a playground and would go running across all the roofs and wake me up at night so basically all the buildings need to be at least 6-8 feet apart, not next to trees and have no hidden spaces in them for the possums to nest.

But I went exploring yesterday down the southern end where a big branch on a conifer/pine broke and fell under the weight of the wisteria growing over it and put in a string line, after chopping away some of the dead tree, to get a boundary line in, meanwhile having a good look at all the treated timber I have left over which was stashed across the boundary on council land... so between having to paint the house this summer and sort out the front lawn into a big vege garden I'll be building something somewhat temporary down in the jungle end. It just so happens too that the dead tree is great firewood for making all the little fires which I use ti kill the brambles.

1920047_10152789651874288_85175151650566

• Like 1

It never rains but it pours. So I'm contemplating all this moving around stuff and getting the spaces together to finally get started on the car and out of the blue some guy I found last year offers me a pallet load of suzuki engines plus diffs and dizzy's and all the stuff required with one engine half rebuilt and I just so happened to sell something on trademe which'll cover the costs. Money in money out... More stuff and even less space... bugger.

But over the last day or two I've been contemplating hard about what needs doing regarding making what buildings I have got work better with more efficient storage and work spaces whilst actually doing it in one space and it looks like I just might be able to get it all together.

10584029_10152802301519288_4024903932375

• Like 1

Choice... making headway.

The fellow dropped off a bunch of Suzuki parts and I got them all stashed in the actually Suzuki van, after removing all the excess motorcycle stuff. Then he had a look at the engine from the van and it's a 1ltr as opposed to the 800cc's I thought it was but his engines are 800's and it actually suits me better to use an 800 for the sportscar as I can upright the motor more easily, as in fluff with the sump and make an inlet manifold as the 4 speed with this sits much more upright than the 5 speed on the 1000. This may seem counter productive but what appeals to me is that I can get some RHS and weld up a simple ladder style chassis and make a jeep of sorts to just bolt all the Suzuki stuff straight in as a practise run before getting all convoluted with space frames and fabricated suspensions.

One reason is he gave me a complete diff with brakes etc and carrying that down the back made me realise I definately don't want that much weight hanging off the back of a sports car and need to go independent in the rear so who got ideas about a cheapish diff assembly with sliding shafts and CV joints with not too large discs?

10610662_10152804846114288_6970536436759

• Like 1

Time will tell Mr F Brick, time will tell. I have a fetish for double wishbone suspension and putting it on the back too would be entirely problematic with all those fiddly rose joints and fabricated do dackeys but very sexy for this old set of bones.

These are the dampners I'll use which arrived last night after jumping the fence to have a look at the Morris Minor my neighbour was cutting up. Have to look for another Morrie oild bath filter too as twin carbs would require twin filters!

10505455_10152820383719288_2657800618093

I reccomend the rear subframe etc form a Nissan Serena van they are similar to the cefiro type but have a Nylon transverse leaf spring intergated in to frame so all you need to do is mount an fit shocks and most of them have a viscus LSD with 4.3 or 4.6 ratios.

They mostly have drum brakes to keep traditional look and come in 4, 5, or 6 studs depending on model grade.

Thanks chaps, I must get out to Zebra soon and have a look about. Though the old Nissan rear ends do it for me, what with the universals an' all, it would definitely be a better idea to get later model stuff. In both cases though, and other parts required, I have to actually get on and build the space I'll need to collect it all in and have room to build.

• 9 months later...

It has been a very long time. But yesterday an LJ80 chassis was dropped off and today I started taking it apart. I kinda got side tracked when I realised I needed to build another good sized shed to do all this stuff I ended up doing a bunch of landscaping work on the property as a preliminary to sheds and that's just ended up what I've been doing. In the interim though I've done some graphic design for Steelcuts in Onehunga and have a credit for 250 bucks worth of steel plus I have a load of building work over on great Barrier coing next moth so will finall be in a position to throw money at these ideas.

This thing is well buggered but it doesn't really matter as I only really want the bits to build the frame around and will get good stuff later on and it'll be a 4x4 hillclimb car sitting way less than a foot off the ground,

IMG_20150823_112016_zpsdhgzi2ns.jpg

I'll use the 1000cc engine as it's well canted over so if I set it to the right of the centreline, where the driveshafts go, weights should end up quite central. This means though that the driving position will be on the left which is kinda weird but it's a racecar so it doesn't matter. Transverse leaf springs and four bars front and rear.

• Like 1