The "Deuce Coupe" by Gaz

sr1600

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Heard lots of opinions on the powdercoat vs paint debate but after having a half a powerstation come loose in bad weather trapped in the hole of the ship.

Heres my 10c on my dealings

Powdercoat is awesome untill it is damaged/chipped. Repairs are hard to achieve and most of the time need a full repaint to match anyway.

Not really an issue on smaller items and will work well for what your doing

2 pot Paint is far easier to repair howwever doesnt handle the enviroment as well.

• Like 1

Yeh I think in this case the prep will be the problem rather than th pc. Items had surface rust and pitting. They sandblasted and then zinc coated but not sure about rust treatment. You can still see rust patches under pc so I am expecting it to bleed out eventually or maybe lift/chip the pc. Looks mint for now and saved me prepping and painting bits/lazy.

I think im still going to get the other suspension parts done once test fitted but maybe not the rear axle.

I guess it may come down to how much you will actually use the car. E.g - my last rotor only went 20,000k in the 11 years i owned it, so yea only reason PC would really shit itself would be the prep. 

stuff it im just gonna do mine by hand , etch prime and a good ol can of emanel black! - see how it goes

I think itll be used about that much ^^^ to be honest. Was building the Chevette up as the everyday cruiser but doubt thatll ever be finished now that funds are......dead/sunk/0

I think thats what ill do with the diff after the new brackets are put on, flapper, etch, paint. Was thinking maybe the perfect use for that hammerite finish paint? Or maybe some of that kinda rubber paint as it dont chip easy.

Gaz

They zinc coated under the powder coat on my stuff to make it last longer, costs little bit more but worth it. Guess its still only as good as the prep that goes in though.

Wonder why they use nickel as the base when chroming stuffs..... cant be arsed googling

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi matt. I've heard both good and bad things about Bateman so hopefully get a good dealing.

I brought tyres from local toyo dealer. I rung toyo warehouse first to check availability. Their number in phone book and they were really helpfull. If they make the profile your after they will know.

Gaz

Yeah there is, these ones are to be legal as with the diff shortened it wont fit other wheels (no spare for lyfe).

The way I read it is that your offset can be as much as 20% of total width of rim.

The wheel offset on a wheel fitted to a low volume vehicle, other than a 
vehicle specified in 2.2(9), measured from hub flange to wheel width 
centre-line, including any spacers or adaptors if fitted, must be [see 
diagram 2.2(8)]: 
 (a) in the case of a front-engined, rear-drive vehicle, no more than 
20% of the total wheel width positive or negative; and

It also says this tho... and because I have heavier duty diff/axles/bearings/studs (hilux) Id be in the clear.

in the case of an offset outside of the requirements specified in 
2.2(8)(a) or (B), either: 
 (i) the axle and hub components used are from a vehicle 
which is substantially heavier than the vehicle to which the 
suspension and axle componentry is now fitted; or 

So if my calcs are correct that means that I'm allowed a +-52 offset wheel. Ill be running -60 so slightly out but Ill fit into the second clause in the cert guide.

That was my thinking, I think im right???

Gaz

• Like 1