Chassis number descrepancys ??

Goat

So yea,

I have had a jaguar coupe for some time now (6 years). And am about to start putting it together.

I found a build plate in my box of spares so i car jammed the number plate to see if it was the correct build plate for the car.

Parts of the numbers are made up (but the important parts aren't)

Build plate says:

Body: 2J 212345

Engine: 512345BW

Carjam says:

Body: 2S 212345

Engine: 51234SBW

The Chassis number stamped into the car matches the build plate.

The car is registered as a Jaguar 2 door coupe.

You can see for the engine number that they obviously got an S mixed up with a 5. Pretty easy to do as its shitty stamping on the plate. I dont even have the original engine for it so no dramas.

It appears that they also got the J mixed up with an S for the body number. That is the only difference in the codes.

I managed to find the original registration papers for it from the 80's (it was imported from England in late 80s) and this matches carjam. Which makes sence, as those whould have been the numbers punched into the system.

However, the 2J prefix is the prefix for a coupe and a coupe only. And the 2S is for a long wheelbase Daimler 4door sedan.

Its pretty obvious it is a typo/reading error as the numbers are identical otherwise. And the code after the 2S isn't even a valid code for sedans. Sedans start at 5xxxxxx. Its only valid for coupes.

So it is definately the right build plate/chassis code for the body.

Basically, is there any way to highlight this as a typo/read error and get it changed to what it should be?

Is there a process for doing this? Asking on here as ALL my dealings with VTNZ etc are "Nah mate, can't be done" even for shit i know can be done. They just don't give a shit.

Worst case scenario = Revin? Will this be a cunt as that chassis number has not been registered before?

Thankses.

You will be pushing shit up hill trying to get them to change it, Rawb had a similar issue with his Fairlady.

Thought as much.

Try roll as is? If caught out then reregister?

Problem is it is currently just a shell (complety rust free and in primer) so there weill be a bit of coin needing to be sunk before it sees the road. Dont really want to pour heaps of money into it to not be able to get it on the road etc.

My S31z is registered as a 1978 Datsun 260z, chassis numbers are correct, just whoever registered it was lazy. I hit up NZTA and they wanted a written letter from the Z car club stating why it was wrong if I wanted it changed.

I suspect you will be the same if you want to change them in the NZTA database, though I don't think you will have issues. It is pretty obvious its a typo.

I've written a letter for a customer who had an AE86 registered with the incorrect name (meant to be Corolla Levin and they had it down as just a Corolla, something to that effect).

Included a copy from our parts catalogue stating what it should be registered as along with all the chassis numbers to prove.

He sent it away and they ammended it no problem.

Do you actually care that it is wrong? or are you just worried about it not being able to be legit?

Because I wouldn't worry about it at all if it was me. I assume it is reg on hold?

Fucks given = 0.

I can just see it causing dramas later on. And yea, reg on hold.

I will need a cert when i'm finished so the chassis number will need to go on that. And if they system reads differently than the car itself its bound to be highlighted then.

Yea, reg on hold.

Pretty much after reading  this i think i will do nothing. hah.

Just get it road legal (many years from now anyway hah). Than see if any issues arise when i put it on road.

It sounds like its not going to be an issue, and that either nothing will come of it, or i can correct it in the system (Its not like the numbers a wildly off, its quite obviously a an error in the person reading the codes). And that absolute worst case scenario would be re-vinning which isn't the end of the world anyway as i have all the import documentation etc etc. (Although this was where the number was incorrectly written down, and all the reg documents were based on this no doubt...)

My mind has been put at ease.

Thanks guys!

They get shit wrong all the time... Keen to find out how hard it is to chance. My old LS was registered as a Lexus Lexis somehow, and had another one that was wrong somehow as well, forgot how. Something like Toyota LS430 which is the wrong grouping of make and model