DIY Aircon

mikey

HELLO PEEPS 

This is my plan, pull the full air conditioning wizardry from a pick-a-part car and put it in my 240z. 

I'll pick a car that has a rooly simple AC system with just a button to turn AC on/off, no climate control. 

Probably end out using the AC pump which came with my engine.

Most likely stick with the existing 240z heater unit, but swap in the blower and AC box in front of it.

I'll no doubt have to bend up some new lines and stuff and buy some wacky connectors and crimping tools. Or maybe just get an AC chap to do that bit.

Someone tell me why this is a bad idea. Worst thing about it is it will clutter my engine bay, but the car is so damn uncomfortable to drive in summer traffic it'll be worth it!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only real issue is what refrigerant your AC compressor was designed to run, and whether that is still available, and if not does one of the modern refrigerants work as a direct replacement (often you end up with a little bit less (derated) cooling capacity when you try to do this)

R22 was still common on jap stuff through mid nineties, what year is your motor Mikey? Is it from a 350z? If so compressor wise you will be sweet (sorry forgot ^up there for a sec you had done the swap!)

Same rules apply thoguh, so just find out what refrigerant your compressor is for, and then try to find the same spec gear on a PAP car.

If I'm honest I've already pinched all the gear from a Nissan Sentra on Sunday. The dash is out getting fixed up so it's the perfect time to sort out AC. 

The pump is deffo R134A, and I'm pretttttty sure the other gear is too, so should be sweet but will double check. If I'm not mistaken they can flush the other stuff out too? Anyway I'll check.

I forget off the top of my head exactly which, but some refrigerants have oil in them to keep the compressor happy, so if the sentra gear had this, and your 134a comp does not agree it might not be worth the effort of flushing. I'd sugegst finding whoever will be doing the regassing and asking their thoughts though

• Like 1

I'd sugegst finding whoever will be doing the regassing and asking their thoughts though

Yeah I totally agree, I'll hit them up for sure. Just wanted to sanity check with you guys first. 

Doing AC this way looks like it'll cost me fuck all. Esp compared with VintageAir. And it'll be less intrusive too; I can keep all the original heater controls and stuff.

I would love to have have properly cold AC. But any drop in temp would help. Sitting in auckland traffic on a hot day is unbearable with a black interior. I often end out opening the door and leaning outside. It's bawls.

I recommend having a chat to Kevin at Alert Auto Air in Devonport - fairly confident he will be able to assist with your endeavour, and can probably bend up all the requisite lines to suit.

Sheepers knows him too.

Yea talking to a GC AC dude is recommended, anyone friendly enough should give you some good free advice. Try hide all the lines etc best you can as well, they usually look like shit from the factory and a lot can be done to tidy them up.

I recommend having a chat to Kevin at Alert Auto Air in Devonport - fairly confident he will be able to assist with your endeavour, and can probably bend up all the requisite lines to suit.

Sheepers knows him too.

OK Super! I'll pop out and have a yarn next week. 

This is the gear I have so far, I just checked and it's all R134A, yuss!

IMG_20130710_175159.jpg

So....... how the fuck does this shit work? 

There's an electromagnetic clutch on the compressor yeah? When I want AC I just give that 12v I'm guessing. 

That little canister next to the condenser is a drier I'm guessing? It's got a couple of wires coming out of it. What are they for? A warning light once it's done it's dash?

The canister on the condenser is pretty much a filter so should get a new one of those. The wires coming out of it are a pressure switch. The system should use a high pressure and a low pressure switch which cut in and out the compressor using the clutch. I done a 2 day course on air con last year and have a few books which can help with diagnosing pretty much all the problems you can face with ac. And they also would probably help to get you set up. Whatever you need to know I should have it in these books. So ask and ill find as much info as you need to get it all working. Youll also need to make sure 1 of your lines has a tx valve in it which drops the pressure down before it enters the evaporator.